Rotator Cuff Surgery? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Rotator Cuff Surgery?

Anyone ever had it?
How long is the recovery period?
How long after till I could shoot a rifle?

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 PM

Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery?

I had both shoulders done. One took six weeks to heal, one took six months. If they have to cut you, expect it to hurt for six months. You'll be able to shoot a rifle in a month or so. Recoil won't damage it but it will be uncomfortable. When I had my right shoulder done I asked about spring gobbler hunting. Doc said shooting was fine but he was more concerned with me tripping and falling and trying to catch myself with my arm. That's what would undo all the work he did. Good luck. Its pretty painful for the first few weeks.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Sage

Happened to a dear friend of mine, fell at the bottom of his stairs and had to do all over, pins and all...He says it was painful.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 PM
The Man

The most painful thing I've ever been through. Was off work 5 months and had therapy for 6 months.

USAF 1984-88

Families that hunt together stay together!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM
The Man

Had it done to my right shoulder last September 6th. Was immobilized for 5 weeks before I was allowed to move it. I was able to shoot the .17hmr from the bench by mid-October. I took the inline out in the early muzzy season, but shouldn't have. At home in the basement, holding the rifle in shooting position was ok, but in the woods with extra clothing, I wasn't able to raise and hold it in shooting position. I got a shooting stick, and was able to kill a bunch of squirrels. By mid-November, I was able to shoot my .270 (it has a BOSS and that helps reduce recoil). Doc told me the same as others; reasonable recoil might be painful, but not damaging. The biggest danger was falling and re-injuring the shoulder. Due to bad knees and in spite of using a walking stick, I did manage to fall several times, but was always able to go down on my good side/shoulder. I followed the docs (and therapist) instructions throughout the entire process, and was told that things went textbook perfect. I will admit that I worked it some at the gym on the days I didn't have therapy, but nothing stupid. I started back to work right after the first of this year. I was able to get 2 1/2 months in before the double knee replacements in mid-March.....

It's darn near a whole new me heading into the woods this season!

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 03:50 PM

For those of you that had it some time ago, have you had any trouble with it since?

I had mine done in 2006, along with fixing a labrum tear. Lately I've been feeling some discomfort, not as bad as before, but something isn't right. I need to call and get it looked at but I really don't want to go through it again.

Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 04:16 PM

Both mine are as good as new. A little ache from time to time due to weather conditions but no problems. You may have some scar tissue built up. That happened to a buddy of mine.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 AM
The Man

Surgery usually means at least temporary disability. It all depends on the injury and the person. That's the best I can tell you.
Years ago when going back to archery I went back with the opposite side bow. An old shoulder injury was looming.
I learned to use the bow, with a power eye problem, but I practiced and resolved the problem.
The shoulder problem got solved, I was so use to the new bow, I never went back to the original side.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 11:38 PM

I'm about to find out. Torn rotator. Surgery next Thurs.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just had it done yesterday for the second time on the same shoulder. The first one was a breeze. Off work 3 mo lifting weights at 4 mo. Only one screw. This time only one screw but it was a lateral tear. Not going to be as easy. May be off work 6 mo.

LP GR RCH Coal Hill's Brush Buster.2014 ARHA PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Ma Ma Cass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page