The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

favorite harness?

3K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  rugerno1 
#1 ·
What are y'all wearing for harnesses in the stand???

I been wearing the one that came with my summit for years and I've had enough....

But I won't hunt without it....

So to save myself the mess of dealing with the straps I want a nice one....

Just don't know what to look for....

I typically wear my harness under my outer layers...unless its warm and I have just pants and a shirt...

Nothing that will make me warm or hold heat...

Something you won't notice is on and won't get in the way but will do the job....

#3 ·
That's another thing....I am confused on how all the different rope systems work.....the summit is simple enough...loop it around the tree...can go up or down too...

Looking to get a good packable lock on next season too so I'm not limited...so will need a different tie off system I guess...don't know how you stay tied in when putting up sticks...??

#4 ·
mauser06 said:
That's another thing....I am confused on how all the different rope systems work.....the summit is simple enough...loop it around the tree...can go up or down too...

Looking to get a good packable lock on next season too so I'm not limited...so will need a different tie off system I guess...don't know how you stay tied in when putting up sticks...??
a linemans belt will hold you to the tree so you can have both hands free to hang up sticks

#5 ·
Thanx! Might be what I'm using? Came with my climber...loop the rope around the tree and tie off to that rope and slide it up as you climb...?

Too many tree stand accidents...

And I wanna stream line everything...save time and stay 10000% mobile and quiet...if a buck farts I am going after it...that's how I hunt...when I add a good lock on and sticks i will be a different hunter...

Starting with the harness...then attachment systems...then pull up ropes...sick of that mess too...lol

#6 ·
Yea, that is a linesman belt

I have a HSS Ultra Lite, and I like it so far......it is a lot less bulky than the HSS Pro Series that I did have.....

One thing I seriously considered looking into was the scent blocker bibs with the tree spider harness attached to them, I'm not sure if they are insulated or not, but it really does look like they would be pretty comfortable, and eliminate some of the binding and stuff that goes on with a harness.......and they really arent that much more than a harness alone....

#7 ·
My cousin is sponcered by Scent Blocker and has the Tree Spider Speed Harness. Awesome set up! He got one for my dad who thought a rope around the tree and his waist was safe. Compatible with all their other offerings. Clothing as well as a backpack system.
Really like the bibs there though. One step out of the safety equation!

#8 ·
I've been wearing a harness from a small company called 20 Feet Up. It is absolutely the most comfortable harness I've ever worn, I will never go back to a traditional harness.

Unfortunately, I believe these guys may have gone out of business.

#9 ·
I swear by my hunter safety system pro series. Comfy, easy to put on, has pockets for all my gear. Has the loops to use a lineman's belt when hanging a stand. I use the summet style rope with the puget slip knot to slide up and pawn the rope as my anchor rope to the tree. It's hard to find anything easier to adjust than that. Here is the one I wear.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SX71UC/ref=...ASIN=B004SX71UC

#12 ·
SnoodStretcher said:
I've been wearing a harness from a small company called 20 Feet Up. It is absolutely the most comfortable harness I've ever worn, I will never go back to a traditional harness.

Unfortunately, I believe these guys may have gone out of business.
I was looking at these last summer- I see by their website they are out of business. Looked like a good product.

#13 ·
Thanx guys! I think the no frills rock climbing types would suite me best....my coats and jackets have pockets....not sure I need a vest with even more pockets....

Pros and cons to both I'm sure......

It absolutely surprises men how many people fall from stands and how many people don't wear harnesses....especially now with the nice easy to use harnesses out there....

Every season there are at least a few falls fairly local....

Every stand comes with a basic harness...I've used one since 2006...not the best but works!

#19 ·
Started with the HSS Pro Series vest but switched to their Camo Ultra Lite so it is easier to wear under my jackets.I also use my old gorilla and let my dad us the Ultra Lite for hanging stands during the summer.Both have a linemans strap.My Ultra Lite also came with a deer drag that helps out a lot on long drag jobs.It easier than taking my Glenn's Deer Drag.

#22 ·
mus42tang said:
To think I use to climb oil and gasoline storage tanks without any safety device.
Many think of using a harness, but never think of what happens if you fall in one. But then I'm an old climber, and remember old things.
We sometimes wonder if you sniffed the fumes a little too long.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.