Sunday Hunting bill in doubt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Sunday Hunting bill in doubt

this was in the paper today. the farm bureau is now opposed because they want stronger trespass laws. the trespass laws were strengthened but they want them even stronger, thats a great thing. the part i found funny is where they mention church. apparently hunters should be in church on Sunday while hikers can enjoy the woods...hmmmm

HARRISBURG — A proposal to allow limited hunting in Pennsylvania on Sundays ran into opposition during an information hearing Tuesday and a key committee chairman said its final passage in the state House was in doubt.
After a contentious informational hearing in the Capitol, Game and Fisheries Committee Chairman Keith Gillespie said supporters will need to engage in some “damage control” if they hope to see the bill enacted.
Representatives of hunting organizations and the National Rifle Association spoke in favor of the measure, which would permit hunting on one Sunday during deer rifle season, one during deer archery season, and on a third Sunday to be designated by the Game Commission.
Pennsylvania has banned Sunday hunting since the 19th century, although there are currently exceptions for crows, foxes and coyotes, and for noncommercial private game reserves.
The bill, touted as a way to make it easier for younger people and those who work during the week to hunt, passed the state Senate comfortably in June. It would also toughen trespassing laws.
Representatives from the Keystone Trials Association and the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau told lawmakers they are opposed.
Hikers don’t want to lose three Sundays a year when they know there will not be hunters in the woods, and Farm Bureau members say even stronger provisions against trespassing are needed before they will be neutral on the bill.
Darrin Youker, a Farm Bureau lobbyist, told the committee the proposal should include a requirement that anyone hunting on Sundays have with them written permission from the landowner — although that requirement would not be in place for the other six days of the week. He said there is support from among his group’s farmers to maintain Pennsylvania’s tradition of a one-day-a-week break from hunting pressure.
The 20 organizations within the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen and Conservationists have all endorsed the Sunday hunting legislation, according to its executive director, Harold Daub.

Daub took aim at the Farm Bureau, saying farmers should not be dictating landowner rights, and told lawmakers a main argument against the change is a feeling that people should be in church on Sundays.
“While many of us agree that people should be in church, few of us want lawmakers infringing on our religious freedom,” Daub said.
Hikers, he said, routinely go into the woods during hunting season on the other six days of the week, including on state game lands.
Gillespie, R-York, said his survey of residents in his district indicate a majority are opposed. He said after the hearing that it’s unclear whether the committee will vote on the bill as scheduled later this month.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, my original assessment that the entire SB should be scrapped and to take an all or nothing approach should be implemented has come to pass.
FB had quite the list of demands for the bill, just to remain "neutral" on the issue, including the only Sunday in archery being allowed was the first Sunday of the season....same for Flintlock....
Come on.....

Eff the Farm Bureau. Scrap the bill and work on a new one that allows the PGC to set the seasons, including any/all Sundays, or none at all, and be done with it. Tired of being strung along by the Farm Bureau. They are a bunch of MORONS!

Suburban redneck.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Interesting article.

"A requirement that anyone hunting on Sundays have with them written permission from the landowner — although that requirement would not be in place for the other six days of the week." So I can say oops I didn't know I was trespassing Monday thru Saturday when I wondered on the the farmers property but I better know on Sunday. Also we have to maintain Pennsylvania’s tradition of a one-day-a-week break from hunting pressure. The fish never get a break on Sundays. This is discrimination.

We'll have to see have this all plays out.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Simple solution-------------BACK TO THE DARK AGES. Other than the Civil War the 1860's weren't that bad.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.

Don't shoot brown ducks!!
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 AM

So, tell me, do the hikers avoid the public hunting lands except for those three Sundays? They aren't afraid any other day of the week.

If those hikers really want to use lands open to hunting, even though I personally believe those lands should be closed to all other activities except hunting during the seasons, 250 square inches of blaze orange,and a solid blaze orange hat should be mandatory for ALL persons visiting hunting areas all year long. Problem solved. Don't like it? Hike elsewhere.

Don't tell me I should be in church while our children are denied the ability to pray in school, while you allow others to continue eliminating GOD from the American way of life. It works both ways.

Personally, I won't be hunting Sunday
bohunr and Asajoe1 like this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Regular Visitor

I'm neutral on the subject but the landowners(farmers) I know are not in favor of Sunday hunting and say they will not allow public hunting on their property going forward if Sunday hunting would pass.

I realize this is just a small sample in a small area.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKMAN View Post
I'm neutral on the subject but the landowners(farmers) I know are not in favor of Sunday hunting and say they will not allow public hunting on their property going forward if Sunday hunting would pass.

I realize this is just a small sample in a small area.
Definitely small sample syndrome... just as every farmer I know either wants Sunday hunting or doesn't care. Have yet to meet one actually opposed to it despite what the PFB claims.
My sample reflects some areas of 3C,3D,4C,5C and 5D.
I've asked a few directly about it, and their take on the PFB's stance, "Farm Bureau don't buy my feed or pay my crop insurance" was a common response...
In my opinion, any farmer claiming they'll post their land if SH passes is making an idle threat. Any that follow though on it will quickly about-face once having done so starts impacting their bottom line.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:24 AM
Regular Visitor

Lets all become Sunday coyote and crow hunters!

Not sure if this has been previously suggested...can one of our organized groups start a movement to activate people hunting coyote, crow and fox on Sunday? This will prove our support of our deeply treasured family activity. Let's prove to our fellow citizens the world won't end like all the naysayers indicate. PA is one of just 5 or so states in the USA without full Sunday hunting privilege's. We must get this changed ASAP!
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgrad25 View Post
Scrap the bill and work on a new one that allows the PGC to set the seasons, including any/all Sundays, or none at all, and be done with it. Tired of being strung along by the Farm Bureau. They are a bunch of MORONS!
Yep. My position from the beginning. This bill is garbage. A new, clean bill, that transfers all authority is the only bill hunters and sportsman's orgs that support SH should support moving forward. Time to reject anything but a full transfer to our game agency.
dce and bohunr like this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
So, tell me, do the hikers avoid the public hunting lands except for those three Sundays? They aren't afraid any other day of the week.

If those hikers really want to use lands open to hunting, even though I personally believe those lands should be closed to all other activities except hunting during the seasons, 250 square inches of blaze orange,and a solid blaze orange hat should be mandatory for ALL persons visiting hunting areas all year long. Problem solved. Don't like it? Hike elsewhere.

Don't tell me I should be in church while our children are denied the ability to pray in school, while you allow others to continue eliminating GOD from the American way of life. It works both ways.
The Keystone Trails Association and other hiking groups that oppose SH are hypocrites. Data has been presented that shows that the most heavily used day by hikers and non hunters of the outdoors is Saturdays.......... So while they state worry about hunters when it comes to SH, they are out there with hunters and seemed to have survived............
dce, bohunr, OAWC and 1 others like this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page