Sunday Hunting - Page 19 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 215 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:40 AM

Never could understand why hunters would stand in the way of increased hunting opportunities. Some of the attitudes toward our youth hunters is pretty sad too. Eventually, the "We've always done it this way" crowd will fade into dust and the change will come. I fully admit and don't care if I'm selfish for wanting more days afield with my boy. How could more hunting opportunities with him be a bad thing?
dce, JasonN, Tony300wby and 5 others like this.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 215 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
Never could understand why hunters would stand in the way of increased hunting opportunities. Some of the attitudes toward our youth hunters is pretty sad too. Eventually, the "We've always done it this way" crowd will fade into dust and the change will come. I fully admit and don't care if I'm selfish for wanting more days afield with my boy. How could more hunting opportunities with him be a bad thing?
It does boggle the mind that only in PA do 'hunters' not want hunting to happen.
post #183 of 215 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:50 AM
dce

I've been living without sunday hunting for the past 37 years and if I have to live without it for the next 37,so be it.Prior to my son hunting,I used to primarily focus on deer and turkeys with few small game trips thrown in hear and there,primarily after archery season ended or during the late season.I always used sundays to do in season scouting move stands etc.It was actually pretty crucial to my success so I never really cared to hunt on sundays.Since my son has been hunting,especially this year when he turned 12,we do way more small game hunting than bow hunting.I understand people not wanting sundays open for deer but see no valid reason why I can't take my son and his dog out for a few hours on a sunday to chase pheasants around.
whil e kioti, Vonfoust and OAWC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 215 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 AM

I should have said 1 time instead of 1 day before the opener. But trespass is trespass let alone by a state trooper to boot so continue to spin on. How many of you that are in this discussion on Sunday hunting and trespass have contacted their state rep to come up with a bill for a tougher trespass law. I know I have hes state rep Dom Costa and Ive let him know about trespass situations out hunting.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
post #185 of 215 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowithone View Post
I should have said 1 time instead of 1 day before the opener. But trespass is trespass let alone by a state trooper to boot so continue to spin on. How many of you that are in this discussion on Sunday hunting and trespass have contacted their state rep to come up with a bill for a tougher trespass law. I know I have hes state rep Dom Costa and Ive let him know about trespass situations out hunting.
IIRC...when HB1760 was a issue, the PFB said it was against Sunday hunting because of trespassing...the PGC offered to see if they could compromise on the issue...the PFB refused...it was stated at the time by Ed Staback that if the PFB didn't oppose HB1760, "it would have passed with flying colors"... so NO...I won't ask for tougher trespassing laws...but...unlike the PFB and their position on SH...I wont oppose any new laws either.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #186 of 215 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:20 AM
dce

Quote:
There is no spin.The man wasn't hunting.He was just trespassing.Trespassing is an issue 365 days/week and hunters aren't the worst offenders.I don't hunt a single piece of land that requires me to have permission from a landowner.I also don't post my own land or keep people from crossing it.To date,I've never chased a single person off except for one dope who was sitting in my field and facing my house and barn.I didn't even chase him off.I just told him to reposition himself.I understand it's a person's right to post their hard-earned property and understand that it's just common sense to gain permission before you step foot on someone else's land.I do fail to understand how territorial some people get and freak out if someone crosses a corner of their property or comes to close to a boundary.I'm not taking my time from a day off to patrol be it a thursday or a sunday.I'm not contacting any legislator to ask for stricter penalties for tresspass or for increased sunday hunting opportunities.I could care less one way or the other but still see no valid reason why the PGC can't set the seasons and bag limits as they see fit.My biggest reason for handing regulatory authority over to the PGC is to take as much power concerning game management away from clueless legislators.I'd like the option to take my son out on a sunday if saturday is filled up with other priorities but I'll make do either way.
post #187 of 215 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:24 AM

Trespassing is already a delightful 7 day per week tradition in PA, I see no reason not to conserve that.
post #188 of 215 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Trespassing is a problem right now during hunting seasons 6 days a week. Go back a couple pages and read my post about slashed tractor tires and the likes this landowner tried to deal with these trespassers.Until your in a landowners shoes with a lot of land or even 20 acres your blowin a lot of smoke here.What message arent you getting J Deere is paying the taxes on HIS land its J Deers property not Cscotts property he can do whatever he pleases period.That 200 acres Im on you dont see anyone else on this property till hunting season opens up.Everyone on here is a lawyer all of a sudden telling the people on here too do this and that why hasnt the GC.lobbied the Legislators for a stricter trespass law period. We as hunters should be contacting the GC. daily to get the GC. to start lobbying on passing a stricter trespass bill period.
So by your own statement "J Deere" can do whatever he pleases on his land because he owns it and pays taxes period...... But "Farmer Ted" over the hill can't do the same because he doesn't agree with J. Deere?
This is flat out honestly the silliest grasping at straws argument there is. On one hand you want one farmer to be able to do whatever he pleases with HIS 200 acres PERIOD because it fits yours and his views of Sunday hunting. But you don't want the farmer over the hill do do whatever HE wants with HIS 200 acres he pays taxes on , PERIOD, because it's the opposite view point. SILLY. plain and simple.

Trespassing is unfortunate PERIOD. Crappy, annoying, and a PITA to deal with. That we ALL agree on I assume?
To use trespassing as a stance against Sunday hunting really is nonsense.

"J. Deere" is worried about more trespassers on his land..... but he would have options at his disposal to deal with that on a Sunday the same as he would have on a Saturday, or a Monday opener, or a mid season Wed. Control the land as you see fit...who, what, when and where.

Good old tax paying farmer Farmer Ted who wants his family or friends to enjoy HIS farm for a day of hunting on a Sunday wouldn't even have that option? On HIS land, HIS taxes, HIS family, HIS decisions. Why?........

Weighing weak hypocritical hypotheticals against real options and opportunities for all.
Buckethead, dce and OAWC like this.
post #189 of 215 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:09 PM

If tougher trespass laws passed tomorrow, 98% of those that oppose Sunday hunting would still oppose it. It is a position of convenience often filled with hypocrisy.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #190 of 215 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:13 PM

I really like the Texas law I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am surprised nobody commented on it. ....Shooting a deer while trespassing is a felony.
CritterBuster and OAWC like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page