Mentored Youth Hunter Picture Thread - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mentored Youth Hunter Picture Thread

Took my son Matt out for his second time for deer. 1st time was in archery with our crossbow. Saw a bunch of squirrels no deer. Poor guy came down with H1N1 the next day . Bunch of kids in his class had it to, guess it was just a matter of time.

Took him out for squirrels and chucks a few times, and he's a great shot!

Fast forward to today, the cold rainy crappy 1st day of rifle.... I was a little worried he was gonna give up.. Stuck in there even though we didn't see anything..... Then at about 9:30 I said to him as he was wanting to go" Let's just give it a few more minutes, only takes a minute for things to happen". Then bam! Just after I said it, 2 does came in to ten yards.. He was happy as could be! They walk off and we're whispering... I hear something. Oh no a nice BIG 4 point with a 14"-15" spread and at least 6" tines is right behind us 10' from the stand.. Couldn't hear him coming with the wet leaves. Matt turns his head see's the big guy- We get busted- and he takes off before he can even react. He said" That was the coolest thing EVER!". Ended up having 4 more doe's come in at 15-20 yards. Total of 7 deer.

He was cold, Wet(we had a porta roof over us, but still got soaked) But I have never seen him happier, not even with his video games....

P.S. The buck came in right behind his right shoulder from behind a real thick patch of hemlocks....

"Be who you are and say what you feel, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Sage

Awesome story!!

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

cool story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
The Man

Here is a pic of the buck my Granddaughter Brianna got at about 11 A.M today (kids here have both 1st and 2nd day off school). She is the one who spotted the buck, we didn't have a good rest, my fault, so I had her lay down and shoot prone over a rise in the field. I had to put my fist under the forearm to give her a steady rest. Note to mentors don't do like I did, be prepared. It would have made a great u tube of a big old gray beard scrambling around in a hay field on all fours trying to get his little Granddaughter a good shooting position.
It is a 5 point, one side has a big Y and the other side is a crab claw with no brow tine.
The Red Gods blessed us again today, and yes I did thank them after I was sure he was down.

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 02:44 AM
Sage

Great photo! Congrats to her!!

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 AM

[img]

My son's first buck, .243 win. at around 130 yards. He's 9 years old.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Regular Visitor

[img][/img]
Son - Alec, with second buck of his young hunting career.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Regular Visitor

Jen's 1st deer. She is 12 and her 1st time hunting. It was shot 1st day @ 10:45 AM in Beaver County. 75 yds thur the woods, hit right where it counts the most!
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 01:37 PM

My Ten year old son Sean. I have harvested many deer over my life however this is will always be one of the most special and memorable hunts. We were hunting in Beaver Co Pa and were set up in a two man ladder stand along a field. He shot just after I stopped the buck with a soft grunt at 50 yds. I was very proud of him.

Harvest with a .243 Ruger Mark II compact.

Timber

I am a Reagan Conservative first and a Republican second.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Here is one of my boys first buck , taken in montgomery co. Saturday morning before the snow. 50 yard shot.

The deer had am old injury from a vehicle on its front right.
20 gauge Mossberg bolt action.

"Here are the roughs and beards and space and ruggedness and nonchalance that the soul loves"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page