Youngest Brother Scores in Youth Doe Season!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Youngest Brother Scores in Youth Doe Season!!

My youngest brother isn't the most serious hunter out there. He gets out with a rifle a few times a year and never really took the interest in bowhunting. He shot his first deer last year. We wanted to take him out this year during the youth rifle season as it was his last year to qualify for it.

I was at work until 4:00 PM today. Around quitting time, I texted my brother and asked him if he wanted to take the rifle for a walk along the field edges where I killed my buck almost 2 weeks ago. He said yea! It was a SW wind, which was perfect for the stand that I shot my buck out of which is on the edge of a bean field. My goal was to be in the stand by 5:00 PM.

By the time I got home, I stuffed my face with a meatball sandwich. I asked him to get all of his gear together so we could hit the woods ASAP. As we drive 3 minutes to our spot, we see deer out in the yards already. We quietly pull off the road and walk to our stand. It was 4:45 when we climbed the 2 person ladder stand I killed my buck from.

As I was getting tied in and situated, my brother looks to the south and immediately sees a deer 40 yards or so away on the ATV trail my buck walked up from. I don't see her immediately as my view is obscured and I don't want to move and spook her off. I get the video camera on and see the doe. It was a big doe, looking at us. I asked if he had a clear shot. He said his shot was wide open.

BOOOOOM. The doe bounds off. I don't think she is hit. I was fooling around with the camera and didn't have the best view of the deer to begin with so I didn't see how she reacted to the shot. He said she hesitated then ran off. We get down to check the area. We find no sign of a hit. I check the video footage. Dummy me didn't hit the record button.

We decide to cross the road and hit up the other fields on the farm. We stick our nose in the woods and see some doe. He didn't have an ethical shot, so we didn't take it. We proceed to walk up closer to some houses (but still well out of the safety zone) where I thought some deer would be bedded down. Turns out there was some activity in the north field so by 6:10 PM I gave my brother the option to wait it out here or go back to the field where the truck is parked and near where he missed.

We decide to sneak back along the field edges in an attempt to walk several hundred yards to our original location. However we don't get far! We walked 40 yards or so and come over a hill. My brother stops in his tracks and says there are deer to our east. The wind was blowing right at them.

This time I hit the record button and zoomed in on the deer. I see a lone button buck. We didn't have a safe shot at him as there was no back drop and we couldn't see anything below his neck. We duck down and crawl forward 10 yards. I poke my head up and see a different deer, 20 yards south of where I saw the button buck. I wanted him to shoot this doe, but anything less than a 3" spike was legal for him so I was going to let him decide.

I get the video recording again and see a few other deer hidden in the beans. He says he has a clear shot, so I told him to take it.

BOOOOOM thunders the 30.06. I see a deer jump in the air and I said good shot you got her. He reloads and I tell him to shoot at the same deer again. BOOOOOM. The deer disappears in the beans.

We step quickly towards the deer and he shoots a couple more times as the deer wasn't dead yet. I say congrats and instruct him to fill out his doe tag! I text a few people, including our father, the pics. He gets back to me in 20 minutes or so and asks to hear the story!

God Bless the USA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Youngest Brother Scores in Youth Doe Season!!

Congrats
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 AM

Congrats.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:37 AM
RB
Sage

CONGRATS to your brother DL20...save the pic forever, it is a real keeper.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 AM
The Man

WTG congrats

Greene County Tom

As far as I'm concerned,hunting is nothing without a dog to share it with.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Way to go, guys!

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Sage

Outstanding! Congrats to both of you!!

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Congrats to your brother!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

nice job congrats
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 09:57 AM
PSA

Good job!

Memories - what a lifetime of hunting gives a man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page