"Close Call" a mentored youth pictorial - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

"Close Call" a mentored youth pictorial

My 10 yr. old son, Ty, has been hunting hard to kill his first deer. He has hunted 6 out of the 8 days so far and has been having some great action. Tonight was no exception. After school (and chores) we headed out for a pm hunt. By 5:00 Ty was settled into a ladder stand while I was perched in a hang-on a few feet higher in the same tree. A walk to the stand, with warm October temps deserves a drink.

We watched the squirrels as they scampered around our stand entertaining us as they fed.

Our wait was short, as within 20 mins of climbing our stand I spot deer movement in the thicket in front of us. I alerted Ty of the pending action and he stood to get a better look.

It was two doe fawns browsing their way towards our setup. They were still over 40 yards away as they nipped on green briars.

We have a small food plot between us and the bedding area and I was hopeful they would continue to work our way. They were in no hurry and had no clue we were anywhere near.

They slowly but surely inched our way. I was not sure if them taking their time getting to within shooting range was a good thing, or bad, for my mentored hunter. Ty seemed calm and continued to watch the oncoming deer intensely.

After what seemed like an eternity, the young deer finally made it to the edge of the food plot. I instructed Ty to come to full draw as now the lead doe was within 18 yards.

Just as he comes to full draw, the second deer comes into the picture. I quickly whisper to Ty to hold the shot.

The deer now were not wasting any time and turn to come straight for our stand. This is not exactly how I wanted it to go down for my 10 yr. old who was still at full draw.

They worked their way under (and behind) our tree, all the while Ty is holding his bow at full draw. As the deer were literally under us, Ty gives me a look that says "I can't hold it anymore." I whisper to him an "ok" he can let his bow down (knowing full well this could be the end to the close encounter, as surely the doe will hear something.) He successfully let down his draw without as much as an inkling from the young deer of our presence above. The deer emerge from the backside of our tree and once again I instruct my young hunter to come to full draw.

The deer is now about 8 yard from Ty and appears from my angle to be the perfect shot. I give him the ok and wait for the shot. The deer only stands for a few seconds and begins to walk. I let out a mouth "baaa" and the deer stops... right behind a sapling.

The doe pauses there a few seconds before turning and heading straight away leaving my hunter at full draw with no more target.

The evening ended without a kill, but we had a great hunt none the less. Shortly after the deer leaving our immediate area, Ty relived the events and the shot angles.

I firmly believe tonight was as important of training as any kill could have been. We were close to closing the deal, but it wasn't meant to be. I am proud of my son for not "rushing" a shot when things got intense. He is a fine young hunter! I congratulated him on the fine hunt, and of course a fist bump was in order...

******Have a good one!******
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 AM
The Man

Re: "Close Call" a mentored youth pictorial

AWESOME !!!! Just for him to get to draw on a deer is a successful hunt !!!!!! NEXT TIME TY !
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:32 AM

Nice Pics. Hopefully he can connect one of these nights.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:32 AM
The Man

absolutley great post!!

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

great story and hunt. cant wait till my sons are old enough to get out with the bow. tell Ty to keep his head up, he will get his chance. he seemed a lot more calm than i ever was at that age, heck even calmer than i am now haha.

GET SOME BOYS
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Sage

That's what I'm talking about!! Thanks for sharing that hff... you have much to be proud and thankful for. A fine young man right there.

Think of all he learned tonight. Patience, drawing on a deer, keeping still, watching the woods around him and going home equipped with new leasons ready to apply on the next hunt. No deer? No problem, especially the way you are 'training' him.

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Best post of the season! Way to go!!!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:43 AM

Very nice post! You sir a real fine mentor.

He handled that situation perfectly.

I wish you both the best of luck

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 AM
The Man

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing!

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:49 AM

not only is that a good job by your son by being patient, but that is a good job as a dad making sure everything goes the proper way. Way to go

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page