YEAR OF THE YOUTH HUNTER!!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

YEAR OF THE YOUTH HUNTER!!!!

WOW!! I'll tell you what all these recent reg changes have made 2011 the year of the youth hunter up here.

Just about all know about my son Joey's successful hunt last week getting his first deer

Well I took my boys down to my Mom and Dads in 2E for the youth pheasant day and although we only flushed one bird during the hunt and no shots (post to come ) , we had fun in the beautiful autumn woods with the labs and Pap, trout fished a bit today (no catches), went spoting and saw 20+ deer on the SGL including I would guess a 130 droptine bedded in the grass near a pheasant field that was hunted all day long!!!

Well since we would not be hunting our property this past Saturday, i sent out the e-mail offer to my Brother in laws who also have youth/mentored hunters looking for their first deer and gave them quick rundown on all the stand locations and the better bets for AM and PM...well just got home and found out my 10 year old nephew Mick got his first deer Using his Dad's tag on Saturday morning at 8:15 out of the same stand lil Joey scored out of a week prior. ...working on getting a pic and story to share, but am on cloud nine right now.

I have managed that little 54 acre slice of hill for 5 years now and finally seem to have it down on where to set stands. More than just the deer harvest though , to hear two of my BiL's took there under 12 hunters up there and had great mornings with their kids that ended in a harvest is fantastic. That hollow is where many of the my BILs also cut their teeth on hunting too (they call it turkey hollow), now by a twist of fate I own a small part of it and thinking of maybe of calling it "young guns hollow"

We are planning a big rut hunt up there in November where just about all double stands will be filled with father and son combos in what is usually a quite entertaining time there and certainly hope all get more days in up there before that. We are a close knit group and this is only bringing all of us closer. Fathers, sons, uncles and nephews (duaghters, moms and neices are all welcome too)

Both hunting parties heard the yotes in full force that morning as well at dawn as well as grouse drumming and even two gobbles at daybreak. I guess the yotes were howling both close and far, about 60 yards from my other BIL. Since we got tomorrow off I am taking Johnny up in the morning...yote or deer he is ready to join the ranks of the 2011 successful youth hunters in this clan, although he is holding out as of right now for a nice buck. He kicked it all this off when he was 10 in 2007 with that nice 7 point, and now is ready to get back in the buck harvest records after getting a couple does since turning 12.

GOD BLESS all, and thanks again to those that know the future of hunting does not lie in those older hunters that may be unhappy with this or that change in recent years, but with the kids that are being tugged at by everything nowadays but the woods. Well we are doing our best to hook them once again, and are having some luck in doing so from our mentors looking down on us. Hunting life has never been better.

BTW, this was a crossbow kill and it also died within sight of the stand. Likely got pics on my trailcam on this one too as it came from and died in the same corner..which card I will pull tommorrow...

Hunting is better than ever...it really is!! Hook these kids with a positive message and the experiences follow.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Sage

Re: YEAR OF THE YOUTH HUNTER!!!!

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 AM

Yep. The changes in regs over the past few years along with the new youth seasons have paid off in spades. Love seeing the kids and the smiles.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 AM

Those yotes might have to move on because of lack of food.

I am anxious to see how many happy faces there will be in a couple of weeks in the early youth firearms season now that the tag transfer got approved.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 AM

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sweet J! Glad to hear everything is going so well for the clan this year

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">In memory of WCO David L. Grove
End of Watch - November 11, 2010</span></span>
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Thanks Walt...keep that cell phone around tomorrow for some play by play.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Sage

Sounds good to me RB!!

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 AM
The Man

Greene County Tom

As far as I'm concerned,hunting is nothing without a dog to share it with.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Sage

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page