Youth Hunters First Buck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Youth Hunters First Buck

As some of you know and have seen in the past, for the past 3 years I have been dedicating a large part of my archery season to helping youth hunters that dont typically get out in the woods much. This year, my first mentored youth hunter is a 16 year old named Austin. Austin was not raised on hunting, and really has had a lack of anyone to take him. However he has remained passionate and persistent about the sport, particularly archery. He bought a bow from a friend and archery hunted a day or two last year without seeing a deer. We have been shooting together for the past several weeks, making trips into the woods together, and preparing for the season.

I put him in one of my best "see lots of deer" stands yesterday afternoon around 4:30, and sat with him to film as I often do. I climbed into the tree first to get in the camera stand, and before I reached the top of the sticks, I noticed two bucks already feeding in a small clear cut less than 40 yards from us. I urged him to climb up quickly and quietly, get his safety vest hooked, and pull up his bow. Meanwhile, I was getting the camera set up, and the bucks were working their way closer. Within 5 minutes, the bigger of the two had reached 30 yards, and turned broadside. He was comfortable with the shot, drew, and released an arrow. It found its mark, but hit back. I reviewed the film, and could clearly see it was guts. With it beginning to rain, and heavy rain in the forecast, we made a quick search for blood to find his general direction, and backed out.

We returned at 9am this morning with some help, and spread out to search the area. I knew the buck was headed for a small creek, and within 10 minutes, Austin stumbled upon him right in it. We ended up with a happy ending to an unbelieveable (and fast) hunt, and he was blessed with a beautiful young 6 point. More importantly, we made a memory neither of us will ever forget, and the addiction has been passed along once again to the next generation.

Austin's 6pt Killed October 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I will be posting the video after it is edited on my blog. I will create a new thread with a link, hopefully by the end of the week!

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 10:59 PM
The Man

Re: Youth Hunters First Buck

great job the you for taking the time. and to him for his first buck. thats a memory that lasts forever.

"god fearin, hard workin. combine driver"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Awesome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Way to go Austin!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:12 PM
The Man

Great story!! Way to go Austin and a big pat on the back for shootbowtech

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:00 AM

Congrats. Good job by both of you.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page