3 for 3 on youth day - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes
  • 8 Post By Strut10

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
The Man

3 for 3 on youth day

Posted a pic elsewhere, but I guess this is where the young'uns rule the roost.

Took my bestest turkey huntin' buddy out on youth day...…….my daughter, Pickle. This is her 3rd year of serious spring hunting, and I gotta say, she is one of the most icy people at trigger time that I have ever hunted spring birds with. Has been from her first gobbler hunt. Must get it from her old man. Lol !! But her composure impresses me.

We had a pair of field corner birds in mind that morning. We parked on a dirt road 700-800 yards from the suspected roost location and took the looooong way around to get in without spooking them. Or so we thought...…….. We weren't 10 yards off the road hen we busted a hen off the limb. I told Pickle "no worry.....there goes some of our competition". But 300+ yards from where these two had been roosting, we bumped a gobbler off the limb in a place he NEVER shoulda been. I told her not to worry because there had been two birds up in there and there should still be one left.

We got set up along the field edge and about as soon as we dat down, the other bird fired up right where he was supposed to be. He was at about 2:00 to or right 150 yards. I had put a 1/2 strut jake and a hen in the field to our left. I let him gobble a few times and tossed him a few tree calls. he gobbled back. I told Pickle I wasn't going to call again til he hit the ground. About 10 minutes later, his muffled gobble indicated he was on the ground and down over where the field end rolled down off the hill. I gave him one series...…….he cut me off...…..I cut him BACK off and told Pickle to get her dot turned on and get ready.

About a minute later I see his head pumping to our right as he came on the run. I told Pickle not to shoot when he was moving. He ran past us and a few feet short of the dekes......about 30 yards from us...…. he slammed into a strut and wouldn't come out. He was twisting and turning and presenting no good shot opportunity. I was getting nervous.....trying to see an angle for her to shoot...….talking to her...... Losing my mind was more like it. Meanwhile I could see Pickle just following him with the gun barrel...….seemingly cool as ice. FINALLY he looked from the jake decoy to the hen and turned to her and ran his neck out just a little and rolled his head a bit sideways. I whispered "There !! NOW !!" BOOM !!!
I don't even think she heard me or was even listening to me talk her through. Her shot was almost simultaneous with me starting to tell her to shoot.

The bird was 19-20 lbs, 10 1/2" beard and 1" sharp spurs. Her third youth day bird in as many years.

She said "Next year, I wanna do the calling". I said "Next year you ARE gonna do the calling !!"

demokraten saugen

Last edited by Strut10; 06-02-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

that is AWESOME CONGRATS PICKLE!!!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 10:53 AM
The Man

Fantastic! Congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Way to go! That's what it's all about
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 05:42 PM

Terrific!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:34 AM

Outstanding, congrats!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Sage

Congrats, nice bird...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page