Gun Shy Kid - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM

Do you or a friend have a suppressor? I broke my friends kid with mine this fall. Since it reduces noise and recoil, he was shooting a 308 the same day. Started him our with subsonic 300 AAC, then to 5.56 to get more noise in there, then the 308.
bohunr and limbhnger10 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:14 PM
dce
Sage

I have a slip on sims recoil pad designed for youth guns.It's free for the taking if anyone wants it.
basdjs likes this.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:17 AM

Still very young donít push it. As he gets older it will wear away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I started shooting a .22 when I was younger . when I started with single shot 410. deer was a 30-30 then a 30-06 .g dad started me out slow and made it fun
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Regular Visitor

I had an Encore with matching 22 and 243 barrels. Worked great when his first buck came out. Unfortunately, CCI Quiet ammo is quiet. He didn’t wait for poor Dad to get his Muffs on and a 16” 243 at dusk inside a blind is deafening and a light show of flames at the same time. Swear I’m still hearing ringing from it. He never felt recoil when an animal came out.

If I had to do it over I would have gone to the 7-08 right away. With Hornady Lite in a custom model 7 with 22” MR contour it’s super light and not much muzzleblast. Plus the soft “Varmint” bullet expands beautifully at those slower speeds.
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Regular Visitor

Will say I was a very large kid. Like 6’ in 5th grade. Uncle thought it would be funny to let me shoot a hunting weight 7RM offhand with his hot reloads and it took years and many rounds to work out that flinch. Think the 22 and squirrels gave me the most confidence.
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Gremcat , you mean you were never a little one back then ? lol
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Regular Visitor

Have a custom setup with 300 BO and 556 that my 8 yo will start shooting. He’s a lefty and wasn’t super thrilled with a RH bolt CZ Scout but didn’t mind the single 410. When he was 4-5 I took him out in the yard with his older brothers metal air soft Guns/red dot and let him shoot various metal cans and their lids I suspended. He was better than I pretty quick. It’s been a few years since we moved but got him to the range once here (22/410 day) and he had no issue with sight picture or making hits. I’ve read food dye and ice cubes are good reactive targets. I’m eager to apply for a tax stamp and suppressor. I think that’ll be the ticket for training.
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremcat View Post
Have a custom setup with 300 BO and 556 that my 8 yo will start shooting. Heís a lefty and wasnít super thrilled with a RH bolt CZ Scout but didnít mind the single 410. When he was 4-5 I took him out in the yard with his older brothers metal air soft Guns/red dot and let him shoot various metal cans and their lids I suspended. He was better than I pretty quick. Itís been a few years since we moved but got him to the range once here (22/410 day) and he had no issue with sight picture or making hits. Iíve read food dye and ice cubes are good reactive targets. Iím eager to apply for a tax stamp and suppressor. I think thatíll be the ticket for training.
Save yourself some money. Take him to the range with a 556 and buy a set of electronic sound suppressed ear muffs. They are pretty amazing and the 556 does not have much recoil either.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:29 PM
Part of the Community

My son was also recoil shy at 7. Found it was more the loud noise (although he is an extremely loud kid so no idea why). He is 11 now and shoots his 243 fine now. He also had a 20ga that i bought 410 inserts for it a couple summers ago. He shot the 410's just fine and now shoots the low recoil 20 ok.

Prob nothing to be concerned about. Just don't push it.
NorthernPotterCo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page