Gun Shy Kid - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:11 PM

As a youth my dad give out the .410 shotgun shells to me and when I brought home a squirrel, rabbit or quail he would replace the kill shots only. Makes you a better shot.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 04:03 AM

Time plus in the meantime he will get bigger
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:45 AM
New Arrival

All the above advice is great.. But you also need to talk to him if he really is passionate about shooting or is he doing it for you. Actual Interest and motivation is really important to get over fears
Woods walker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Seven is generally to young for shotgun shooting. What’s the rush other than parent ego. Just like every parent thinks they have a 5 year old soccer star, rushing off to practice continually. Let them grow up. Let him shoot 22 all he wants. Take him to the trap or skeet range and let him observe for a few years. Give him ear protection. At some point he will want to pop a few clay birds.
stinkbait, .204 and GSP66 like this.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

When my sons started with a shotgun I made reduced load shells for the 20 gauge (870 jr compact). 3/4 oz of shot over a reduced charge of unique (basically a 28 gauge load). Very pleasant load and broke clays very well. I even ran it in my 390 for awhile for sporting clays and it cycled just fine. Before my oldest started shooting, I took him for a few years with me to a sporting clays course - I'd shoot while he pushed the buttons for me (worked out well for me when I was by myself). Tipped my trapper with pizza afterwards. When he got old enough to start shooting, my younger son started coming with us and he was the trapper. They just enjoy being out at that age with you.

I'll echo what other have said about a well fitting gun as an example - that little 870 even with those reduced loads kicked the snot out of me, but the boys both felt next to nothing. Why? Because an 12" LOP is WAY too short for me (But as soon as my daughter is done with that gun - its getting a full sized stock and the 18-1/2" barrel will make me a great turkey gun lol).

The other consideration is weight of a shotgun which usually comes into play with the single shot 410's - while a gun has to be light enough for the kid to safely handle - the weight helps reduce felt recoil.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse28 View Post
Seven is generally to young for shotgun shooting. What’s the rush other than parent ego. Just like every parent thinks they have a 5 year old soccer star, rushing off to practice continually. Let them grow up. Let him shoot 22 all he wants. Take him to the trap or skeet range and let him observe for a few years. Give him ear protection. At some point he will want to pop a few clay birds.
I agree with this, you couldn't shoot loud stuff around the grandkids when they were his age. Shooting my high power stuff now that they are older.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:34 PM

I started with a shotgun when I was about 11.When I was 12 Santa brought me a single barrel .,410, I walked it thru the woods about every day..
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:56 PM

Agree not to push him, try a .17hmr, then maybe a .223. Make it fun with reactive targets, blowing water filled soda cans up will make it exciting.

If you notice a flinch have him shoot it empty, without him knowing so he see's how he is flinching. My daughters and wife are all small and had no issue with big centerfires as they eased into them.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by old greybeard View Post
Agree not to push him, try a .17hmr, then maybe a .223. Make it fun with reactive targets, blowing water filled soda cans up will make it exciting.

If you notice a flinch have him shoot it empty, without him knowing so he see's how he is flinching. My daughters and wife are all small and had no issue with big centerfires as they eased into them.
Or put tannerite in a cup and see if they flinch. Lol. That may change their mind on how loud the gun really is not.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:53 AM
dce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse28 View Post
I think every kid is different and they change a lot from year to year.It's actually amazing how much they grow up in just a year's time.I bought my son a pellet gun for his 6th birthday in June and he couldn't even hold it.I remember thinking he wouldn't be ready to hunt til he was 10.After christmas that year,he burned through a couple bricks of rimfire and I bought him a compact model 7 in 243 for his 7th birthday and a Mossburg 20 ga for him the next christmas.I loaded the .243 down a hair with 70gr ballistic tips and had him burn through 150 rounds before deer season and before I loaded him a hotter load.I actually didn't want him hunting that year but he was driving me nuts to go.The next spring he used that 20 ga with 3" shells to kill a gobbler and he was using a Kimber Montana in .308 when he turned 9.My point is,kids are very capable if you spend enough time with them on the range.I thought the light Mossberg was too much for him so I bought him a gas-operated tri star semi when he was 8.He shot several turkeys with that gun and hundreds of rounds of trap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page