Gun Shy Kid - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:17 AM
Part of the Community

I use a mag pad to reduce recoil, it's adjustable. As for the noise I use ear plugs. If your getting used to it then you maybe damaging your hearing. Speaking for myself I haven't become used it.

look around and tell me what you see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 03:50 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just keep at it with the rimfires for now. When shooting bigger stuff, make sure you double up on the hearing - plugs in ears and muffs over.

If you handload, start with reduced loads. I started my son on reduced charges in a 308 behind 125 grain bullets. If you have the money, maybe get a 223 in a hunting rifle.

Our worst recoiling gun is a youth 20 ga. Worse than my 300 Weatherby. It's a Rossi. Hollow, plastic stock and short barrel. Weighs as much as a toy cap gun. A 3 inch turkey load kicks like a dangerous game rifle.
Vonfoust and Bigbrownie like this.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 04:58 PM

I was small in stature when I was a kid at 10 years old. My dad bought me a FIE 20 gauge single barrel and that thing kicked harder than a mule. I hated shooting that gun but thats all we had at the time. I went from that to a 20 gauge Mossberg pump at 14 and that even didnt kick half as much. Keep if fun and don't rush it. He will come around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 05:22 PM

Gun doesn't fit well, holding it incorrectly or could it be the loud noise?
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree with the 20 gauge single shot crowd. I once borrowed a friends single shot Ivers Johnson single shot for a spur of the moment rabbit hunt. That thing gave you a sharp jab to the face with every shot taken. The stock was cut down, so that may have a lot to do with it. I've shot many guns that I'm sure generated a lot more ft. lbs . of energy, but that energy was spread out over a wider area.
A gun that directs the recoil to the face is not fun to shoot.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 05:39 PM
dce
Sage

A good recoil pad and a proper fitting gun makes a huge difference.I bought my 12 yo son a compact Franchi affinity in 20 and 12 ga.These are very light,recoil operated shotguns so they snap you pretty hard.My son isn't a big kid by any stretch.For a fairly expensive youth shotgun,they put these little 1/4" hard rubber recoil pads on them.The 20ga didn't bother him but the 12 ga was a bit much with high brass shells.I had a guy put grind to fit kickeeze recoil pads on them.It was a night and day difference and even with 3" turkey loads,he can handle the 12 ga.He actually used 3" mags out of the 20ga all fall for pheasants.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:25 AM

I started shooting a 410 when I was 7 years old, skinny but I could tolerate the kick. I hunted with it my first couple of years then my cousin who was a younger than me was ready to start hunting so my dad loaned him the 410 and my uncle gave me a 12 ga. heavy 36" barrel single shot and some heavy load paper shells. The kick was much more however I tolerated it shooting several squirrels for another year. If I shot it straight up the gun would go back and the forearm would come off in my left hand.

So I switched to a .22 for squirrels, it took me a few boxes of shells to stop flenching. I never went back for any length of time to the shot gun for squirrels.

Part of what bothered me was the loud noise which still bothers me to this day. I would not rush anything with the kid to force the issue...keep it fun. If it is not fun he will not do his best, have the desire to shoot and will not achieve his best marksmanship.

Also Woods Walker listed some good thoughts the fit of the gun and etc.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:07 AM
dce
Sage

Muzzle blast is often the issue.I started my son at 6 and let him burn through a couple bricks of 22's.After that,I moved him up to a .223 with no recoil but a pretty loud crack.A light 20ga pounds them pretty hard so I bought him a gas operated tri star 20 ga and just worked up from there.He's 13 now,shooting a 5 lb Franchi affinity and insists on using 3" mags for pheasants.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:21 PM
Part of the Community

If my boys acted like that when they were younger, they would have gotten a thrashing with a switch! A 20 gauge? Geesh!
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:38 PM

Id never set a kid up with a single shot 12-16-20 gauge. As others have stated, they kick like a mule. I got my son a 12 gauge NEF single shot, I found it was uncomfortable for even me to shoot. I had him hunt with a Winchester Ranger semi in a 12 gauge. He did much better with it.

My son did hunt squirrels with a .410, once he killed a limit with 7 shots. You really needed to get close to get consistent kill with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page