Gun Shy Kid - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Banned

Yep give him more time. My 2 girls were 13 and 11 this past spring. My 11 year old will shoot anything. My 13 year old hates shooting guns and yes even the 410. I have 2 and hates to shoot them. BUT I bought a crossbow this past year and she loves shooting it and is quite good with.
She hunted spring birds and some deer this fall. This could be an option for your boy. To get him used to pulling that trigger and forget about the recoil for a few years. .22 for squirrels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:44 PM
dce
Sage

Muzzle blast scares more kids than recoil.I moved my kid from a .22 to a .223 and then to reduced .243 loads when he was 7.Bt the time he was 9,he was hunting with a .308.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVERT View Post
I agree. What is the rush to get a seven year old shooting a shotgun? I have kids in that range. They have all shot .22's and .223's. I have a nine year old that will be moving up to 6.5 Grendel and light .260 Rem loads this year. Give it time and work up slowly.

FWIW, the recoil energy on a 20 gauge is around that of a .270... probably a little much for most seven year olds. The fact that he shot both the 20 and the 410 tells me that he shot them in that order. He may have been able to handle the 410 (still a huge step up in recoil from a .22) but had already been conditioned by the 20 gauge to be recoil shy. I see a .223 class rifle as a great tool for moving up from .22's. It has a little bit of recoil and a lot more noise/muzzle blast. I think getting used to the noise without adding much recoil can be a good step. It won't be necessary for all kids but it doesn't hurt. Everyone is different and size isn't always a determining factor.
My son loves shooting an ar-15 in .223 just as much as his .22. I am glad he is just getting used to shooting. We take the 30-30 and 30-06 to the range and he does not want to touch those ones yet and I am not going to push it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:29 PM

I also agree to give him all the time he needs. I honestly think letting a kid that young shoot a .20 gauge might have been a mistake. I'm not trying to be harsh, just giving my honest opinion. My Uncle did the same thing with me when I was a kid but with a 12 ga. and it cured me from wanting to shoot for too long. My Dad was not happy with him. I also agree with dce about muzzle blast probably scaring some kids. My kid is also a big kid and I put off letting him shoot a shotgun until he was 9. I was still very concerned at that age. I've also seen too many kids develop a flinch due to their Dad's putting a deer rifle in their hands that they have no business shooting.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 05:31 PM

this is what you need.

https://limbsaver.com/products/protective-shooting-pad

use it for the .410, it will feel like the.22lr, then leave it at that for a while. i bet its the noise and the recoil from that 20 gauge. was he wearing a coat or just a shirt ?

i use the limbsaver protective shooting pad when i shoot slugs from my 12 ga. i can shoot a full box with no bruising and very light recoil with nothing but that pad over a shirt.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 06:07 PM

Brings back memories of my old man having me shoot a .300 savage at 8 yrs old
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb1815 View Post
Brings back memories of my old man having me shoot a .300 savage at 8 yrs old
maybe thats why you trap (judging from your avatar photo)

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:57 PM

I agree with others that loud noise is a big factor. Get good hearing protection and let him listen while you shoot. The Limbsaver recoil pads do wonders as well. Winchester was making Low Recoil/Low Noise AA loads in both .410 and 20 ga. If you can find lite loads and, again, let him watch and hear you shoot them first, that may help. If he's still not ready, be happy to let him continue with the .22 and maybe introduce him to .22 shot shells for added fun. At that age the priority is to have him enjoy shooting whatever he wants and is ready to shoot.
quackmaster4 likes this.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:20 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle View Post
Give him time... don't push it keep it fun
Words of wisdom!!!

True for hunting, fishing, sports...
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys for all the good tips and info. I will not force him to shoot a gun he doesn't want to and I will try to take him with me more when I go shooting so he can be around the noise more (with good hearing protection of course). I will look into some of the recoil pads and leave it up to him to decide when he's ready.
bohunr likes this.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4- Christ died for our sins, was buried and rose again the third day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page