Homemade Bullet Trap (Pics) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Homemade Bullet Trap (Pics)

I decided that I was going to get into bullet casting and it seems alot of those guys try and recoup as much of their lead as possible. After looking at different options I decided to build one that utilized rubber mulch. Cost and amount of lead that was recoverable was the main factor in the decision.

I had a bunch of 2x2's laying around my shop along with some cheap plywood so I made some measurements and started cutting. The front is 19"H x 16"W and 30"L

I then added the sides and painted it with some extra paint I had laying around.

The extra support piece is where I tacked 2 pieces of scrap carpet up to hold the mulch in. I'm not sure how self healing the carpet will be but with an unlimited free supply from the local carpet shop I'm not to worried about it and hey, you can't beat free!

The front where I'll staple the target onto.

[img]http//i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i355/burning_hXc_soul1/20140126_115927.jpg[/img]

Filled up with mulch I'd say it weighs in at around 50lbs or so. It took 7 bags of mulch which was really my only expense and @ $5.63 a bag at Home Depot the cost was minimal.

These pictures are with only 6 bags of mulch in there, the 7th completely filled it up.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Homemade Bullet Trap (Pics)

Cool, be sure to let us know how it works.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Nice job. Like Tatter said I'm interested in how well it works. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

So I figured I would post an update.

The trap works great. So far I have shot it about 1500 times and only had 2 rounds go through and that was because I was letting a friend shoot who isn't accurate at all and was hitting towards the top with my 300 Blackout. I have it infront of a large mound of old dirt so there is no concern for a round exiting other than minor damage.

I have put about 500 .300 blackout rounds into it, and probably about 200-300 each of 45acp, 38spl, and 9mm and probably a bulk pack of 22lr. So far the front carpet could probably be replaced but no mulch leaks out due to the divider and the 4 pieces of carpet holding it in. I even shot it with my .50 inline and it didn't break through.

I took the top off and dug around and it wasn't that hard to find the bullets. After probably about 5 minutes I easily had about 200 rounds out of it to remelt back down. I'll try and post some pics of it this weekend.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm curious at what range are you shooting at? i.e. 50 yards, 100 yards etc.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I shoot my rifles at 70yds but most of my pistol shooting is done at 7-10 yrs. That includes the 300blackout.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great, I have a 75 yard range and have been looking for railroad ties or telephone poles on the cheap to use as a back stop. I might try this instead or as a temporary back stop.

A question on the mulch. Is this the rubber mulch (shredded rubber)? Or is it just bark/wood mulch?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It's the rubber mulch. This took pretty much 7 bags which was about 40 bucks. But you pretty much get whole bullets out of it to recast.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 11:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

A very nice project, looks wonderful and could easily be moved.

camp in A.N.F.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghxcsoul
It's the rubber mulch. This took pretty much 7 bags which was about 40 bucks. But you pretty much get whole bullets out of it to recast.
Ok, thanks. Will be a nice project, especially for my flintlock. Now I have reason to get a mold and melting pot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page