Canoe sealer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Canoe sealer

Getting ready for duck goose my old canoe has rubbed thru in a couple spots...
Fiberglass...
Any suggestions for good patch? Materials, etc..
Thanks
OC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Canoe sealer

I saw stuff on tv that they used. They put a aluminum screen door in the bottom o a boat and sprayed this stuff on it and the bat floated. :-)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 11:21 PM

Just get the resin mix and enough fabric to make a skid plate on the bottom. Make your patch for the hole bigger than the hole itself. You might want to patch inside and outside. What you do is sand well around the areas you want to repair and apply some of the fiberglass resin and put the fabric on and apply more resin. You may need a few coats of resin or a couple of patchs depending on the damaged area. I got a canoe that had holes in it at a yard sale for $25 and got the resin mix and fabric and patched it this way and it is still good today. Go to youtube and maybe you can get a video on canoe repair. Pretty easy to do. Resin comes in two containers like a resin and a hardner that you have to mix together. By the way canoe is great. It is an old Sawyer and haven't used it much but no leaks and it is an awsome canoe.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 02:41 PM

If they aren't big holes you can use those marine epoxy sticks made by JB Weld, Devcon, Loctite,etc. You slice off a piece, and knead it till hot and press into holes. You can sand and paint after it dries. You can buy them most anywhere. They work underwater and good to carry for emergencies.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Using a canvas covered wood canoe I can tell you that Duct tape is your emergency on the water friend.

Fiber Glass can be built up w/ fiber glass mat in the deeper spots and then covered w/ fiber glass cloth layers for a uniform surface.

After sanding if you have any small imperfections don't grab bondo; visit an auto body supply shop for a tube of 3M spot and glazing putty and apply it in thin layers. I used it to 'fill' bad spots in the canvas filler when I re-did my Old Town in 2001. The stuff adheres well, sands real smooth and is still holding fast today. I paid $12 - $14 a tube in 2001.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

Make sure you wet out the glass mat real good and push out any air bubbles because they will rub through...uscomposites.com is a great source for resin and glass mat...epoxy resin is alittle more pricey than the fiberglass but much stronger if your dragging the canoe around alot...don't use the flex seal from tv it will peel off in sheets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page