Shed Roof Leaking - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Shed Roof Leaking

The shed is 5 years old and the roof started leaking on the two back corners a couple years ago. I have tried sealing the edges and covered the shingles and drip edge with a can of clear membrane called "Through The Roof" and it is still leaking. I can see no damaged shingles. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I posted a pic of the leak in each corner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Banned

Re: Shed Roof Leaking

Looks like your shingles don't extend over the drip edge, that will likely be your problem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 01:31 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripnmax
Looks like your shingles don't extend over the drip edge, that will likely be your problem.
+1

John Adams - "One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

yep, runnin back to the ply wood.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 AM

Yep strip the shingles n do over. Let shingles overhang drip edge 3/4". 1/2" minimun

He never said it would be easy;
He only said it would be worth it!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Was that a commercial shed? Some of the commercial sheds I have seen didn't even have tar paper under the shingles. Tar paper should be under the drip edge on the sides and over the drip edge at the bottom. Water blowing under the shingles at the side should flow down the drip edge and or tar paper and out between the tar paper and the shingles at the bottom.

Did it even have a starter strip of shingles?

I have never heard advice of letting shingles hang over the drip edge that far, but it does sort of look like they don't all go to the edge. Extending them 3/4 of an inch over the edge was a common practice in VA, but once the shingles got older they started bending over the edge and breaking off in bad storms. Also gave a place for icicles to cling to.

Bad thing about roof leaks. a leak can start up much
higher and flow down several feet before contacting the wood.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

The shed was built by lumber yard in Forest County and delivered to my camp and unloaded with a crane. I can see they cut corners and skimped on stuff to lower there costs. I doubt there is tar paper under the shingles. Not sure if there is a starter strip of shingles. Last October I had coated a 3' x 3" section of each corner hoping to stop the leak, and as you can see by the photo, yesterday I coated the whole way up to the peak. I spread the membrane over the edges of the drip edge where it met the sides of the roof and the bottom. I figured it was leaking along the edge and the wood was absorbing it like a sponge.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 AM

If I were you I would replace the roof the right way...99% certain you will find there is no tarpaper underneath...I've never found any on any commercially built shed that I have re-roofed. The wood will indeed absorb the water like a sponge and based on the pictures you've posted you clearly have some rot and the rotten areas will only hold/absorb water more easily. If you fix the problem now you can probably avoid replacing the plywood and running into any other issues that develop.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Sage

Tear it off or go over it.

I used this on my shed and carport. Available at lowes:

Ondura 79-in x 48-in 1/8-Gauge Corrugated Roof Panel

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12747-1115-158_4294806362__?productId=3010607&Ns=p_product_qt y_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product _qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Comes in about five colors. They have the system nails as well. Quick and easy. This will be the fourth year for my roofs - absolutly no issues or problems.

They stock this stuff in the stores - so it is grab and go. It is an ashphalt product. If I recall someting like a 30 year warrenty.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Banned

I believe if you were to lift the end of the shingles running up the rake and seal them down to the drip edge with a good quality adheasive/sealant chaulk you'd be good to go. Other than that, remove and redo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page