Sod advise and prep - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Sod advise and prep

I need to sod an area; does anyone know what I need to do to prepare the ground prior to laying down the sod? As it is right now, grass seed will not grow in this area. Its @ 185 square feet.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Sage

Re: Sod advise and prep

Prepare and smooth it just like applying seed, if really dry wet it down a little, not to make mud, lay the sod join it together, then water it until it starts to knit.....if grass seed wont grow there, sod might not either , I seeded and sodded lawns after retiring, and remember "green side up ".Don't soak it, water it as needed.....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I worked on a golf course years when I was a little younger, and I found the same thing. There is a some reason seed won't grow there, which will/does make it hard for sod to grow properly there as well. Sometimes it works well, but other times it only takes in some spots and looks bad.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I think that I am having trouble growing grass there because the area was the site for about half dozen Arborvitae that I had removed. The soil is packed with 20 + years of Arborvitae twigs, roots and dead leaves. So tomorrow I am renting a small cultivator to dig up the whole area, turn the soil over and add in some lime. Then I will let it sit for a week or so and then put on the sod.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad
I think that I am having trouble growing grass there because the area was the site for about half dozen Arborvitae that I had removed. The soil is packed with 20 + years of Arborvitae twigs, roots and dead leaves. So tomorrow I am renting a small cultivator to dig up the whole area, turn the soil over and add in some lime. Then I will let it sit for a week or so and then put on the sod.
That's what I was going to suggest. I had an area the same way only it was from the previous owner's dog pen being there for years. I tilled the whole area and mixed in some fresh dark top soil and fertilizer to try and bring the dirt back. The first time I put sod down I didn't do that and it died right away.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page