Home Improvement Cost Help Please! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232
Home Improvement Cost Help Please!

Im looking at buying my first house. Im hoping I could get some help with BALLPARK estimates for some home improvements. Lets assume everything is average quality, not the best not the worst.

How much does average residential metal roof cost per square foot? Don't consider labor, as I would do this myself.

How much for a central air unit with heat pump for a 2000 sf home (basement NOT included) installed, including labor. It is a ranch house with semi finished basement and an attic. I would assume 2-2.5 ton unit would be needed. Right now it has hot water heat, so there is no duct work.

What does an average window, say 3' wide x 4' high, cost to install.

Once again, Im just looking for a ball park figure. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Home Improvement Cost Help Please!

Standing seam roofing is VERY EXPENSIVE, and a high skilled art that requires specialty tools, its not a DYI endeavor.
Basic one unit central air is between $1200 and $2000 per thousand feet of living space. It depends on if they can tie in to existing ductwork, or if they have to remod it all through the ceilings.
Most contractors would install a basic window that size for $300 TO $400.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232

Thanks Joe. I must not be thinking of standing seam metal roof. We put a metal roof on our camp and my uncles camp within the past ten years, and it was cake. Must just be a normal metal roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yep, screwing down the 3 foot wide sheets is easy. Standing seam is the old fashioned 18 inch wide single pieces that are individually connected with tools and solder, its artwork. You can do the window, that's not hard. I suggest watching some tutorial videos on the web. Most of basic carpentry is common sense, not that tough, just need to know the steps in order. Good luck, the first house is a huge sense of pride. I sometimes drive past my first one, and even after the passing of years, I am still proud of it.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

With no existing ductwork and the desire to put in a heat pump, I think you'll be looking at a very minimum of $6000. It's more likely to go $8000 to $10000 if done correctly with decent equipment. A heat pump should have high/low returns in every room (excluding kitchens and baths).

It will likely take 2 to 2 1/2 tons but the only way to size it correctly is to run a heat loss/ cooling load on it. If you have natural gas hydronic heat, don't bother with a heat pump. Just keep using the gas and add AC. If you're heating your water with oil, a heat pump probably makes sense. A straight AC install in a rancher is an easier installation with everything just going down through the ceiling.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Wiz

I just replaced my heat pump 4 years ago and replaced all of my windows and added another the year before.

The window job is easy and shouldn't take long to do it right. I used middle to upper middle quality windows from Pella and got the Low E glass to try to insulate the place a little better. They have worked great. The windows were between $150-200 each. The rest of the materials were pretty much negligible in cost. It took several hours to re-frame but I'm no professional.

I had a new Lennox 2.5 ton 15 SEER unit put in with existing duct work. The unit and installation ran about $4,800. I also looked at 2 other units: a Goodman which was about $1,000 less expensive and a Trane which was about $1,400 more for a comparable unit. I took advantage of the tax credits a few years ago and got $1,500 back on the Lennox which offset the cost between the Goodman and Lennox. Seems to be a good quality unit.

Two good things to consider is if you think you might add on one day and how well the house is insulated.

Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had an AC unit installed in a house in Camp Hill that I have since sold. Anyway, that was about $3000 in 2005 and we already had forced air heat so we had ductwork. I would suspect the ductwork will be as much or more than the actual AC unit. This was for about 1500 square feet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page