Tree camera arm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Tree camera arm

Well, I finally got around to make my camera arm for when I rifle/archery hunt from my tree stand. This is probably going to be my prototype since I'm sure i'll tinker with it some more.
I did research on tree arms before and decided that instead of spending the cash and buy one, I might as well try and make one first. My dad isnt the type to throw things away, especially hardware like nuts/bolts and washers. My parents recently added on a deck to their house and of course, instead of throwing away the extra railing pieces, my dad saved them. Today was the perfect time to start to tinker with my tree arm.
What I did first is get the railing pieces and cut them to the lenghts I thought would work. First cut was 6 3/8, second was 16 3/4, next was 10 1/2.
Next thing was to hunt through the 5 gal bucket of nuts and bolts to find the correct length bolt and nuts that fit, of course I had to look for lock washers and regular washers to use for spacing. I managed to find everything I needed and began to drill 1/8 holes in the railing so as I could connect the pieces.
A couple of washers, nuts and bolts and extra railing I came up with this

As you can see from the pictures, I didnt exactly find the same size washers, but what I found seems to work for now.
Here is the tree arm extended

The longer piece in the right of the picture is what will connect to my tree stand, I thinking of using a U-bolt to connect to my treestand, but that will be tomorrow's tinkering. I did decided to paint the tree arm though in a camo pattern, the only spray paint colors I had were black and yellow, I might add more colors later.

One roadblock I ran into is that my Vanguard window mount isnt wide enough to fit over the railing, but I had a solution for that.
Not wanting to throw anything away, (wonder where I get that from), I have an old carbon fiber hockey stick that will work perfect for the window mount. I drilled a hole into the stick and I will mount the stick to the inside of the smaller railing piece, thus allowing my Vanguard window mount to attach to the tree arm.

I still have to cut the hockey stick and bolt it to the arm itself, as well as paint the stick to match the arm. The only downside at the moment is that I dont have a video camera yet, looks like a purchase of a camera will be in my future. I'm hoping the arm can handle the weight of the camera when extended, if not, then looks like i'll be making a trip to buy square tubing.
The "almost" finished product.

Feel free to use this design or ask any question, or if you want to give me some pointers, by all means.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Re: Tree camera arm

nice work but now comes the camera to bad you can't make that LOL!! Good luck with videoing and shooting! hope to see the results!

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 AM
The Man

I wonder if gps's have masrked waypoints for trees that contain tree camera arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

GREAT item, can this be put in DIY forum so people looking to make things won't miss it. Again that's niffy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yea thats fine, I was debating on which forum to stick this is. If the mods want to move this to the DIY forum, feel free.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If your camera mounts to a tripod why not run a bolt through the square stock and mount the camera that way?

MATHEWS DXT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by always out
If your camera mounts to a tripod why not run a bolt through the square stock and mount the camera that way?
I still have some messing around to do with this. I might make a trip to surplus city.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page