Chimney removal... Advice needed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Chimney removal... Advice needed

I am going to remove a chimney in a camp that is INSIDE the structure. Its regular modern chimney block that goes through the roof. I want to remove the blocks carefully to reuse.
( relay the chimney on the outside wall) Masonry is something I know very little about. Looking for advice on how to break the mortar joints without breaking the blocks. Also, if my idea is a lost cause, don't be afraid to say so, I just think if Im careful I can take it apart.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:56 PM

Re: Chimney removal... Advice needed

That could be a tall order Joe. I removed and EXterior cement block and terracotta lined chimney years ago and the block came apart easily with a small electrc driven impact hammer. But the interior lining of teracotta was not horizontially joined at the same junctures as the cement block and since it is harder than the block (a fired material) it was dificault to break at the block mortar joints and sometimes the block simply cracked before the lining. My advise to you is to construct sopme sort of floor protection maybe made from discarded pallets around the base of the chimney, cover it with a tarp, and just start in from the top down, and seperte the block joints as you go. Depending on how your stack is made, just take your time, work on the block joints with a masons chissel and a good heavy headed hammer. You may need to have a helper to hand the blocks to as you disassemble the stack. One final thing - I found that sometimnes the blocks cam apart a group of 2 or 3 and this was a real PITA because of the added weight and instability.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM

run a double lined chimney stack up the outside then lay the block for aesthetics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Starting to sound like a stainless through the wall kit makes a lot of sense, looks like about $400.
I've taken a few chimneys down in my time, but with a winch or a sledge hammer, never tried to save one, LOL!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page