Basement Flooring - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Basement Flooring

I'm just getting started on finshing a trophy room in my basement. I'm not sure what I want to use yet for flooring. I would like laminate for ease of cleaning, but afraid of what would happen with any moisture since its in a basement. I've never had any moisture or water problems. What would you guys suggest?

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Basement Flooring

I used moisture film on the concert than the foam had no problem .I do run a dehum. in the summer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 AM
TEE

Carpet tiles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM

I have put several laminate flooring on a concrete slab and had no problems.
I used the Pergo floor and their Simple Solutions SoftSeal Foam. Itís a little more expensive than others that are out there but it worked well for me. It also took that "tick" sound laminate floors sometime have.
I would test the floor first by placing something like a plastic trash bag down for a couple days with some weight on it. If the concrete looks wet or a darker gray then the rest of the floor I would be a little worried but if not you should be gold. I think lam flooring will tolerate around a 10% moisture level anyhow. Where I used it it was also in a laundry room and half bath and there are no issues.
Make sure you let the flooring lay in the area youíre going to install for a couple days just like you would using a hardwood.
The newer lams are much better than when they first came out and are very durable to pets and scratching, but dropping free weights on them will leave dents.

Good Luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Part of the Community

I saw what I think was a new product review in one of my magazines...It's a vinyl plank flooring that has the look of laminate and the water resistance of vinyl.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief48
I saw what I think was a new product review in one of my magazines...It's a vinyl plank flooring that has the look of laminate and the water resistance of vinyl.
Saw that too and looks ideal for a basement, but haven't personally talked to anyone with any first hand knowledge of it though.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 AM

I'm currently installing the vinyl plank flooring in a friend's house. It's really nice stuff, easy to work with. It is much more flexible than the wood-based laminates so locking it together is very easy and it conforms to any imperfections in the floor much better than traditional laminates.

Another plus is that it can be cut with a utility knife....simply score it and snap it....just like drywall. For inside corner cuts like around a floor register, it can be cut with a pair of shears.

The only downside I see is the cost....Each bundle is 1/3 square and my buddy paid $48 and change per bundle....So cost is around $150 per 100 square feet plus padding. I believe he paid $17 per 50 sqare foot roll of padding. Bringing the total material cost to around $185 per square.

I installed the traditional laminate throughout my mother's house last spring. I can honestly say that I like this vinyl stuff a whole lot better. to cut the traditional stuff, I used a combination of a Chop saw, Circular saw and Jig saw....Just need a utility knife and a shears for the vinyl. The traditional stuff is water-resistant....The vinyl is waterproof. The laminate in Mom's house cost about $75 or $80 per square with the padding....The vinyl is well over double the price but I believe it will hold up much, much longer and will be well worth the extra cost in the long run.

Don't let the name fool Ya!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page