Painting over wallpaper - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Painting over wallpaper

Every inch of sheetrock in my house was wallpapered by the original owner without the benefit of sizing being used. So I can't get the paper off without ruining the rock surface. Every time I paint the paper has a tendency to bubble up even though several coats of paint have been applied over the years. In some closet areas the original wallpaper has never been painted over and I am getting ready to paint them. What can I put on the wallpaper to seal it so that the paint does not make it bubble up? BTW, one of my neighbors had the same problem and he solved it by ripping out all the existing sheetrock and putting in new.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Sage

Re: Painting over wallpaper

Install paneling over it.......
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Ya' know what Ron - I was just thinking of that and kind of along the lines of T-111 or maybe venere cedar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The bubbling is from the water in the paint getting thru and softening the paste. A shellac based sealer/primer like KILZ will do the job for you. Drys fast and you can paint like an hour later. Don't use water based primer

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

K - I'll try the Kilz before paneling.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

X2 what Wald J said!!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Part of the Community

I ran into the same problem in one room when I bought my house. The paint guy at Home Depot told me to use an oil based paint. I did and it worked great.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We ran into the same problem at our house and here's what finally worked for us (God bless my late mother in law for this tip): We rented a steamer. First use one of those circular wallpaper scoring tools. Heat up the steamer and use about a cup of cider vinegar in the water. Sometimes the paper backing will stick and you'll have to use the steamer again in some areas. Once you have the wallpaper and backing off off, wipe the plaster down with the cider vinegar/water mix. It works best if the water is warm. Then wipe down with clean water twice. If they is any paste residue left, it will have a slimy feel when you wipe it down. Just go over that area again with the cider vinegar/water mix and rinse with clear water.

For whatever it's worth, I'd like to find the guy who invented wallpaper and get him in a dark alley for a few minutes. It wouldn't be pretty.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Hi Wax, and thanks for the recco. However, thst does not work becasue the original wallpaper application was applied without the benifit of a pre-coating of sizing and any attempt to remove the wallpaper causes the paper covering on the sheet rock to disintegrate and tear up ther rock itself. I have used the method you described about 40 years ago and it worked great. That was on lath and plaster walls and in some places the paper was actually (no joke) a solid quarter of an inch thick... If you find the mutt that invented wallpaper please save a piece of him for me

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sorry that didn't work for you JD. Our house was built in the late 60's and the plaster underneath also had no sizing, but was in pretty good shape otherwise. I can see where if the plaster was in bad shape that the steaming would be a bad idea. It's nice to know that there's someone else out there who hates wallpaper as much as I do.

When we did our kitchen (before the vinegar trick), it was a freakin' disaster. Gouges everywhere. We hired a guy (Harold the "Plaster Master.") He tried to patch the gouges in the wall, and I think he made a worse mess than we had. I nicknamed him Harold the "Plaster Disaster." All I can say is I feel your pain.

One thing we did, after we patched the best we could, was use a relatively flat finish paint (flat or low luster satin if I remember correctly) to hide the imperfections. That having been said, I still get irritated sometimes when I look at those kitchen walls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page