Finishing a basement.....Insulation? Advice... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Finishing a basement.....Insulation? Advice...

Insulation for a basement? Should I go behind the studs against the wall or between each stud. I'm using the thick foam board about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. The walls have already been dry locked and my main concern is moisture with using anything but foam board......Also should I stick with wood or use metal studs? Any advice is appreciated.....Thanks

Bradford County WMU3C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Finishing a basement.....Insulation? Advice...

I finished mine with pressure treated 2x4 on the bottom and untreated for the walls. Even though I don't have moisture problems with the basement. I went between the studs using regular rolled insulation with a pink syrofoam breather piece every other stud to stop the wall from sweating and control moisture. Big difference with the heating bills now. Best of luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Hang plastic and the use fiberglass. Cheaper and. Better r value

He never said it would be easy;
He only said it would be worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

DON"T put plastic over your insulation ! Especially in a basement. That technique was nixed decades ago, causes sweating and moisture condensation, and sheet plastic has zero R value. Modern breathable wraps made for below grade are fine, but poly plastic is a big NO-NO ! The sill plate is the most critical insulation area in a finished basement. ( The perimeter joist cavities ) Wood studs are fine, pressure treated for the sill plate. Box your framing larger around maintenance items, ( Pipes, drain outlets, clean outs, etc ) then if you have a future problem, you are just replacing a piece of drywall, not ripping out a wall.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
DON"T put plastic over your insulation ! Especially in a basement. That technique was nixed decades ago, causes sweating and moisture condensation, and sheet plastic has zero R value. Modern breathable wraps made for below grade are fine, but poly plastic is a big NO-NO ! The sill plate is the most critical insulation area in a finished basement. ( The perimeter joist cavities ) Wood studs are fine, pressure treated for the sill plate. Box your framing larger around maintenance items, ( Pipes, drain outlets, clean outs, etc ) then if you have a future problem, you are just replacing a piece of drywall, not ripping out a wall.
What about plastic sheeting between the fiberglass insulation and block wall? Thats how the contractor just did mine. Hope I don't have issues and have to rip it out do something different before I get it fully finished.

Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Breathable membrane, not plastic sheeting. Especially if you heat and cool the space, cheap plastic spells disaster.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 AM
Part of the Community

I am a union carpenter, and I also do alot of side work on my own. I do a fair amount of basements, I use a breathable membrane with fiberglass itch. you can use plastic if you use an insulation without a vaper barrier. You cant have two vapor barriers thats when you grow mold. As far as framing, metal is my choice, but with the price of metal, use a treated base plate, with regular whitewood studs. if you have a sleeper floor you dont need treated plates. if you decide to use metal, PM me, and I will explain how to do it right. I have seen too many basements framed in metal without slammers, and the studs cut too tight, and the board hung in the wrong direction...

you dont have to make a million, just be thankful to be workin'
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 PM

I am also a union carpenter for 25 yes. Now I own my own co. Plastic between block and studs is fine. I agree a non faced insulation should be used in this practice. What has been nixed was plastic between the drywall an studs. Joe is correct about insulating the cavity between floor joist. Very important step

He never said it would be easy;
He only said it would be worth it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page