Homemade Deer Cooler - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Homemade Deer Cooler

Seeing LLB's post on the skinning machine, I was wondering if anyone on here has pictures and ideas for a homemade deer cooler. Currently I quarter them and put into an extra refrigerator that I have, but it would be nice to have a cooler that I could hang a couple of whole deer in.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Homemade Deer Cooler

There was a thread in one of the forums a while back on this. I just googled and came up with this device that you attach to any window a/c unit. Cools down to 35. make a small room in the basement or garage ,insulate it and you are good to go. Most guys with Hvac experience could rig up something that would do the same thing but this device seems to have controls
http://www.storeitcold.com/

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cut and pasted from website,use foam insulation NOT fiberglass
+Will this work cooling meat?
Yes! We now have thousands of meat folks including over 100 small commercial meat processing facilities using coolbots. Most of our meat folks are a few hunters who got together and invested in one. Obviously you have to size the a/c unit to the size of your walk-in cooler box as per our chart AND you have a walk-in cooler built to industry standard specifications (4" of styrofoam insulation in walls/floor/ceiling.) If you meet those requirements, the CoolBot will keep whatever your want (produce, flowers, meat, prepared food, dead bodies in mortuaries) at whatever you set it at down to 33 degrees. What the CoolBot can NOT do is: 1) Keep things frozen 2) Keep things cold when you have a substandard cooler or too small of an air conditioner.

I think because our units are so inexpensive, a surprising number of people try to approach the rest of the structure in an inexpensive way, too, so they build coolers with standard fiberglas-house insulation or even just use it to try to cool an unisulated storage room. It won't work! The fiberglass actually DOES work for awhile, but outside humidity condenses in the walls making the insulation sag and filling it with mold and mildew. So... use the thousands of dollars you save buying a Coolbot to insulate your cooler with styrofom insulation (it's not THAT expensive!). We sell to a lot of hunters and hunting camps as well as people who make hamburgers and other meat-containing prepared foods and they have been very happy with the performance of the CoolBot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 AM

What they don't tell you, is that your air conditioner will only last so long, from the defrost cycles etc, it really puts a whomping on the compressor, thats why they make refrigeration units. If you use it just ocassionally for a deer here and there ok, but if you plan to use it to storee beer and food half the summer, youre gonna be buying a new window unit pretty fast

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The OP was asking about a cooler for deer. In this case with a run time of 1-2 weeks per deer the a/c unit will last a long time.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Yes I am just looking for something that would mainly be used during archery season. This issue I have is balancing the amount of time that I would actually use it vs the cost of building something. Thanks for the above info Wald Jager.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your frige will do fine unless you got more than 1 deer at atime, just pace yourself

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 AM

I was just thinking of this myself...i dont ever seem to get more that one at a time but i have started the sept doe hunt in all. county so a quick cool would be nice..im thinking about could i turn the shed into one of these coolers with some adjustments...sounds tempting

We Are...PENN STATE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page