drywalling corners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

drywalling corners

I do most of my house remodeling and am average with my skills. I just finishing hanging some drywall and got some odd 45 inside angles to fill in. anyone got any suggestions on tape like the strait flex or other tapes vs actual corner beads? we are gonna put trim up anyway but i dont want gaps behind it should i just mud the cracks up and trim it or double up with tape and trim? Thanks

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: drywalling corners

Finishing drywall is the one thing I hate the most in a remod. If you are going over it with wood trim, I would still tape it. When I am going to cover my lousy joints tape work with wood, I use the mesh tape. I think its much easier for a low/no skilled finisher. I know the guys who know how hate that mesh tape, but I could never make the paper tape work for anything but a straight run. Ones things for certain, if you don't tape it, it will crack.
( Don't ask me how I know ! )

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Mesh tape is a pain to use on angles, but I like it on flats because it saves a step. If you are set on taping before trim, I'd use paper tape on the inside angles and strait flex on the outside.

Alrighty then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

The "No Coat" brand trim acessories work well for quality control with preventing cracks. Haven't used corner bead in over 10 years because of the hairline crack issues. Just fit which ever product you choose and mud in as usual. I prefer 10' lengths over the rolls that you can buy in a box.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysloane
The "No Coat" brand trim acessories work well for quality control with preventing cracks. Haven't used corner bead in over 10 years because of the hairline crack issues. Just fit which ever product you choose and mud in as usual. I prefer 10' lengths over the rolls that you can buy in a box.
Good advice

Alrighty then!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM

I use the mesh tape especially doing inside cornors on old houses. The mesh will conform to whatever angle the cornor might be easier then paper or pre-formed strips.
I use the ultralight joint compound and do not have issues with cracking/shrinkage.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

my plan is to just tape all the flat sectionsusing regular tape. its the inside 45 from wall to 45 and 45 to ceiling that has me wondering. it seems like most say no coat is better than strait flex but at 45 bucks a 100 ftto $20 just to trim over seems silly. i prob have total of 55 ft of 45 angles to cover. thanks for all the opinions, whatever i do its gonna be better than the old wooden paneling that was there before!

We Are...PENN STATE
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you're going to trim over it and have gaps to start with just mix up some easy sand 45 or other speed set (durabond or any other similiar product avaliable to you), start with a good solid base and tape as usual. Nothing in the industry commercial or residential gets more than the tape coat if something else is going over it. Good luck.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Part of the Community

Call me old fashioned but I still use the old paper tape for everything. Fold your tape in half in as long of sections as you can handle....mud both sides of your joint....press your tape in as flat as you can then trowel out both sides with a good taping knife. Put it on and get away from it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 AM

I just use regular lightweight mud and paper tape for the 45's. If i'm in a bit of a time constraint, I'll run 45 or 90 minute mud depending on humidity.

I like the paper tape on everything but the cup seams....the mesh saves a little time there.

Don't let the name fool Ya!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page