Sharpening Mower Blades - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Sharpening Mower Blades

Am looking for a machine to sharpen my mower blades.
Precise angle, low speed, set angle.
Do you have any experience with this type sharpener? Any Suggestions?

The fella at the mower shop has one, but it's back in the far corner and I can't get a good looksee.
I want to purchase my own.
I like to keep the blades sharp. Would pay for itself in a few seasons with 3 sharp blades @ $5 a pop. Plus I could do my families blades to save them some moola.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM

Re: Sharpening Mower Blades

I've just been using a Dewalt grinder for years....I like to sharpen about twice during the mowign season. Just half acre though....

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

we do them with a hand grinder then balance them on a pencil. out of balance could ruin bearings

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM
The Man

Oregon makes a bunch of different models. The angle is set by adjusting the grinding wheel up or down not the angle of the bed. If I remember correctly when I cut grass back in college we would sharpen blades every saturday using a magnatec sharpener (not sure if that is the exact name but its close) Sharpening is quick and easy, 3 or 4 passes per side and then back cut the bottom and you are done.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM
The Man

A "machine". I'd be lost with a machine. I've been using a "B" file (one with no legal momma and papa) to sharpen lawn mower blades for some 30 years. And they still sell them for a few dollars. Somebody else is still using them. Or at least buying them.

Better check to see if someone is still selling sharpening stones, for knives, for home use and outdoors. Wonder if everyone is going to machines.

Sure have to keep up with the meaning, do it yourself.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:59 PM

when you sharpen mower blades all you have to do is follow the original angle of the blade. make equal amount of passes on each side of the blade. use a round shaft screwdriver to balance the blade. a medium stone will remove any burrs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus42tang
A "machine". I'd be lost with a machine. I've been using a "B" file (one with no legal momma and papa) to sharpen lawn mower blades for some 30 years. And they still sell them for a few dollars. Somebody else is still using them. Or at least buying them.

Better check to see if someone is still selling sharpening stones, for knives, for home use and outdoors. Wonder if everyone is going to machines.

Sure have to keep up with the meaning, do it yourself.
That's what we used an 8 mill 'B' file on mower blades, sicklebars, sickles and scythes.

The sickle bar was a 36' walk bahind and we would pull the knives out and clamp it in the vise and dress them up.

I used to balance mower blades by hanging them on a nail removing some from the heavy end w/ the same file.

Only takes a minute of so and burns calories instead of kilowatts.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page