Gun Cabinet Restoration - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Gun Cabinet Restoration

I want to buy a gun safe some day but right now its not in the cards. Just bought a house and that has become a priority. All my guns are at my parents in my dads safe which isnt far away but I would like my guns at my house.

My uncle gave me a wooden gun cabinet he built 30 yrs ago. The glass needs replaced and its scratched up. It only holds 8 guns but I can squeeze some more in for now.

I'd like to restore it. It has some intricate moldings on it that I'm not sure how I could remove the finish or would I need to remove that finish on those areas?

Could I get away with cleaning it up and oiling it or do I need to sand off the existing finish a little and restain?

Thoughts? Just looking for some direction and ideas. It will probably be my fall project in the evenings after hunting. Thanks.

2F for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Re: Gun Cabinet Restoration

dremel tools and the little tiny sanding tips work great for getting in the tight spots on old furniture.
if you don't remove it all, you will notice it after refinishing......unless you are going with a much darker color. post some pics and maybe some of the pros can give u better advice

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Sage

I don't know what finish is on it but Formby's liquid stripper works pretty well. You can use a small stiff bristle brush to get into the nooks and crannies.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

You would want to attempt to remove the finish on the moldings or risk having a mis matched color in the finish. I've use a kitchen sponge with sandpaper with success. You can also buy sanding blocks at lowes or HD. Start with a rough grit around 150 or so and work your way down to 220. In woodworking I've always found trying your method out on some scrap or in a not noticeable spot will tell you if it will work or not. If you use a dremel make sure not to remove to much material at once haha. Made that mistake a couple of times. Slow and steady. Patience is the key!

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
I don't know what finish is on it but Formby's liquid stripper works pretty well. You can use a small stiff bristle brush to get into the nooks and crannies.
I agree, liquid stripper is probably the best bet....you can get it at Lowes, or any hardware.....they even sell an aerosol kind now I think....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

cool I have a dremmel and the only real thing Ive used it for is cleaning skulls. Good idea.

I'll get pics up once I get a chance soon.

Thanks for the tips!

2F for a while...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
I also agree with the liquid stripper approach. A stiff toothbrush should get into the nooks and crannies of the engraving. Just make sure you get the stuff off before it dries.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Part of the Community

I would use a high quality stripper and use a stiff brush to get the nooks. also before you restain the cabinet hit the wood with a bleach mixture like 5 to 1 water to bleach. that will bleach out any left stain that soaked in. then i would stain it 3 times and rub it with a soft steel wool between coats. if it is a high end wood look into a french polish, if not varnish will do fine. 3 coats of varnish. although a french polish will make any wood look better

you dont have to make a million, just be thankful to be workin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page