electrical issue, any ideas? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

electrical issue, any ideas?

In my big pole garage I have two "banks" of three 4' shop lights, each on it's own circuit. Starting earlier this year I began to experience a problem with them all coming on when I turn on the switch. Sometimes none will come on, sometimes one or two, sometimes all three. These are two bulb 4' florescent economy shop lights. My only guess is that the ballasts are going bad. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? When they do come on, the bulbs are nice and bright with no "burn" areas near the ends, so I assume all the bulbs are OK. This began in the bank I use the most, but now it's starting in the other one too

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: electrical issue, any ideas?

You are probably correct, the bad part is new ballusts are more than new shoplights!
I know that a mouse gnawing on the wires can disrupt the sequence, I had that happen more than once.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 PM
The Man

In my old house I had shop lights in the kitchen...It was in the drop ceiling, and I had a lense to hide the light. Every few years I had to change it out as it went bad. Mine would start off with a slow turn on. Other things come to mind right now....After awhile it would come on after awhile if at all. I would pull the ceiling down and replace with a premium new shop light. Problem solved for a couple years. I found you could re-use the bulbs.

No point in replacing the ballast. A new light costs around 10 bucks. Not even sure if a new ballist is available.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
The Man

well at least the replies seem to back my theory. Guess I'll be heading to the hardware store this week. Thanks guys.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 AM
The Man

Let us know how you made out. I hate it now that everything is made to fail. It seems like a waste to trow away 5 pounds of scrap because you can't replace a part.

Venison - The other fast food
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
Let us know how you made out. I hate it now that everything is made to fail. It seems like a waste to trow away 5 pounds of scrap because you can't replace a part.
MAN, ain't that the truth....SAD!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 PM
The Man

That,s just like a cordless drill we bought at Sears some years ago.When the batteries died and wouldn,t accept a charge anymore Sears told us we just need to buy a new whole drill.The drill is perfect and we looked all over and could never find a batt to fit.We still have that drill and charger with no batts to be found.It,s a disgrace.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:18 AM

Time to switch to LED or T42 fixtures.

UBP & NRA Lifetime Memeber
Lancaster County
USMC Sgt/E-5 1993-1997
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:38 PM

I had 4 4 ft dual tube shop lights in the barn. The darn things weren't worth the purchase price. They won't light at all when temps are below 20 degrees and they only lasted a couple years before they started going bad.

I slowly replaced them with those glass & cage covered safety lights. I also put in rather expensive LED bulbs. the first one I replaced is still working great after 6 years. Haven't had to climb up and replace a bulb at all. In addition, with either the CFL's or LED's, the power usage dropped substantially. When it is cold, the CFL's take almost a full minute to warm up to full brightness. The trick is finding the LED bulbs on sale for a reasonable price.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Sage

Unless you spend the money for "low temperature" flor. shop lights for unheated applications, most will be disappointed. The cheap ones are next to useless in damp, unheated areas.

Our club built a 30x40 storage addition last year and we opted for the more expensive flor. lights. So far, so good. Even when temps are below freezing, the lights come on. I had wanted to install incandescent fixtures like we've had in our other storage garage for 20 years, but others insisted on the flor. fixtures.

Last year a four bulb flor. fixture in one of our outdoors restrooms, conked out. Replaced it this summer with an exterior two bulb "spotlight" fixture and two CFL flood lamps. Same flor. light would've cost around $70 to replace, got about $15 in the new light, although everyone hates it. But they do agree it's better than the rubber pigtail socket/100W bulb I originally put up to light the bathroom temporarily.

I quit replacing ballasts in flor. lights years ago, for the reasons stated above. Even the newer "solid state" ballasts are not much better than the old type.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page