Car Wiring Help Question (Should be easy) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Car Wiring Help Question (Should be easy)

So I am trying to wire some LED's to my pickup truck bed so I can see everything under my tonneau cover when digging around at night.

I am planning to put an on/off switch in the bed so I was thinking about wiring it right to the battery.

1- Do you think wiring it to the battery is a good idea? Or should I wire it to maybe the towing wire?

2- Should I put a fuse on the line?

Below is a picture I drew up real quick showing how I was planning to wire it. Does anyone see any issues? Thanks in advance for all the help and if everything goes well I plan to do a write up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Car Wiring Help Question (Should be easy)

is your truck equiped with a cargo light. if so wire it to the light on that. that way its harder to forget to shut it off and drain your battery and you wouldn't need to put in another switch. ground doesn't neccesarily have to go back to the battery just to a suitable ground

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hey comblock! Thanks for the quick response. I do have a cargo light that is at the top of the cab by the third brake light. However it seems that it would be easier to run the wire to the battery than to tap into it the cargo light.

I never really thought about leaving the lights on but I reckon that is a definite possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

tap into the switch

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 AM
The Man

You can ground it anywhere as long as it is a good ground (Ie: clean steel, I would shoot for the tailight for a ground if you want to hide the wires)...............The power could come from the battery if you want constant power, and you could just wire a switch in, or you can take power from any wire that is constant, only on when doors are open, or only on when the key is on...............as comblock said, I would wire it to the cargo light switch, that way it can only be on when the cargo light is on, witch should have its own time out feature if it is left on.......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:16 PM

The circuit needs to be fused at the starting point on the positive wire.I would use a fuse that is only slightly higher than the startup draw on the led strip.Shouldn't be much at all.Use rubber grommets in any holes you drill and solder your connections and heat shrink them.Myself I would go right to the battery for power and use a switch activated by opening the tailgate or the bed cover.Then it will simply shut off when your done.The ground can actually be inside the bed.Drill a small hole,put an eyelet on the ground wire and screw it down tight.Do yourself a big favor and don't cut any factory wiring.If you tap into another lighting system on a newer vehicle you might get body control codes.I don't know the year of make of your truck though.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would put a fuse on the line, I did the same thing except I put 30 LEDS on my bike.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This might help
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/led-bed-lights-106523/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Fellas, thanks for all the help! I have the parts ordered... Now I just need to wait for everything to arrive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page