Cheap Awesome Turkey Archery Target (Pics added) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cheap Awesome Turkey Archery Target (Pics added)

I had a junky DELTA (thick rubber) turkey decoy laying around the house and actually threw it in the trash after a failed modification rendered it useless, or so I thought.

Instead of buying new inserts for my deer targets, I just pick up a few cans of "GREAT STUFF" insulating foam and it makes them great arrow stoppers with super easy arrow removal. I had just redid my deer target and I had 1 can left over and as I was walking to go put the can of foam away I thought to myself, I wonder if I could fill the decoy with foam..and it work as a turkey target?

So I dug the Decoy out of the trash and looked at it. Obviously, I didnt want to have a stake run through it cause it would smash my arrows, so I had to come up with a solution to keep it standing so it could be shot. I decided to cut 2 small holes in the back (Balanced so it wouldnt lean forward or back) and I put an oversized ZIPTIE though the holes and formed a loop. I then filled the inside with the "GREAT STUFF" foam and let it dry. I took it and being that my "archery range" is positioned near the woods, I hung the new turkey target with a length of rope that allowed it to hang at the height of a real turkey. Now since its just hanging it spins, and moves around just like a real turkey. Being that its a real turkey size, moving like a real turkey, you have to pick your shots in relation to how the turkey is positioned. Just like you would bowhunting real turkeys.

So there you have it. A lifesize, free moving turkey target for less than $20 and it stops arrows like a champ, even from my Z7magnum cooking arrows at 291fps yeilding 75# of KE.

I also had a McKenzie deer target that had its legs ripped off (not sure how, uncle gave it to me) and yeah you guessed it. I have it hanging up in a tree as well at a real deer height and it to swings around thus making you pick your shot and angle on a deer. So technacally, I have the most "realistic" archery targets to practice on just with a little rope and some imagination.

I also have a stationary turkey target and 3 stationary deer targets, but the turkey and deer that move make you pick your angle and when you come to full draw, they make you wait until the wind turns them and offer you a shooting oppertunity just like a deer or turkey feeding. Its pretty neat and offers great lifelike practice.

(Ill run out and get some pictures once the sun comes up and post them later today.)

Guys Im sorry It took me so long to get the pictures put up. I'll try and be more punctual next time. I dont usually make a post untill I have pictures and everything and these ones slipped my mind. But dont worry, I got some for ya!

Hanging deer (it doesnt spin cause it has 2 ropes connecting it to the tree..but If I were to make it a rotational target..I would only have 1 rope attached to the spring on the back which would let it spin around.

I use 2 lag bolts and a trampoline spring as a way to hook the rope to the target.

The Turkey decoy is filled with 1 can of "GREAT STUFF FOAM"

A zip tie and a little spinal opperation makes it hangable.

A length of rope and a tree branch gives you a real life moving target that forces you to pick your shot in reguards to the angle of the target at the time.

I cant even tell you how many times I've walked off my porch during the day and see that thing swinging around and each time it still, for just a moment, makes me think a real turkey is standing over there.

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Cheap Awesome Turkey Archery Target

Awesome Post Live2Bowhunt! Im really enjoying the DIY forum hopefully it continues to grow.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Cheap Awesome Turkey Archery Target

I agree, graet post. Will surely give that one a try.

THANKS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page