Wood Insert Install - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wood Insert Install

Well, after years of paying for fuel oil I decided to go with a fireplace insert. I found it right here on HPA in new condition. The DIY part is, I installed it myself after getting a few quotes from stove shops that made me almost faint. Anywhere from $1200 to $2000 to install! I bought the parts online, watched a few tutorial videos's and went at it. Although I will say parts of the job are a royal PIA, its done and working great. Here is a pic from tonight.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wood Insert Install

nice
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Sage

Joe did you just open your existing damper or put in SS pipe from the unit out.., curious, as I am looking for an insert as well and thinking about using fireplace chimney without running SS pipe up......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

My house is only seven years old, so my chimney was brand new and up to code. I did not use the full stainless liner because that is where they gouge you, they want $700 to $900 for that pipe, depending on which one you choose. If I had an old chimney I would have gone that way, but you do not have to with a modern chimney. I used fittings from Olympia. You should go at least 4 to 6 feet up with the pipe. I made a slight oval with the flex pipe, as per the video I watched, and ran it right through my damper. Mine was 6 inch, so it fit. Older ones are smaller, so you have to remove the damper, which is no big deal. Olympia has a flex fitting that clamps onto the flex from the chimney and then onto your elbow coming off the plenum. Its just a real bugger because you are working blind when you make the final connections. I used a maglite and my wifes make-up mirror ( don't tell ! ) After doing it once I am sure It would be easier next time. I figure I saved at least $1500 doing it myself.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Sage

I once installed a woodstove like that, put the 6 in pipe thru the damper opening then made a false damper cover to fill the opening, worked really good....sold the stove, now sorry I ever did that, it was an OLD MILL fireplace model...My house is 30 years old chimney still in good shape , at least I think so..I have had several fires in the fireplace last few years...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

They were good stoves. I have a Schrader at camp and it will roast you out of the place. You can do this job alone if you are capable of hossing around a 500lb insert, otherwise get some help!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Sage

I will definately need help as I am 71 , was a lot younger when I had the last insert..I finally realized my capabilities have diminished over the years.....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:39 PM

If you plan to hunt with that flinter hanging over the fireplace, I would put it somewhere else for the winter. The heat from the wood insert will dry out the stock, then when you take it outside the stock will swell and you can't get the ramrod out and the lock and trigers may hang up.

I hope there is no powder in that horn under the pouch flap.
Those sparks have a way of flying everywhere.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

You have earned the right to watch the next one being installed! If you were not so far away I would do it for ya! I thought about the flintlock getting too warm, so I moved it. ( Its got quite a history, and a famous contemporary maker ) No powder in the horn, although I love the history, speedloaders are fine with me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page