The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Deer Cooler

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  KingRon 
#1 ·
Anyone made their own deer coolers? I need some ideas that don't include engineering a compressor & wiring! Some days it reaches 60 during Nov/Dec hunting seasons so there's no hanging my deer. Thanks for any help you can give.

#2 ·
some of us have a old fridges that we just break down the deer into its major parts and cut it up at our leisure. A fridge will take 2 deer. i have thought about trying to make a box that would fit over the front of the fridge so that you can open the door of the fridge and use it to cool down a couple of hanging deer. Just in the thinking stage now.

#3 ·
We use a small old chest freezer. They are fairly lightweight,but well insulated and can easily hold 3 or 4 quartered deer. We keep it plugged in with the lid cracked open so the meat doesn't freeze solid. It fits nicely in the back of a pickup to transport the meat home. For the trip home, we throw a block of ice in. With a block of ice they will work just like a cooler. Can usually find a 5 cubic ft one on craigs list for under $100.

#4 ·
certainly a used chest frezzer is good.

Bringing deer back from WY I've used the easy/cheap method.

I visit an small/local applicance store and ask for an empty dryer or washinger box. I've even had some stores say "wait I'll take one out of the box for you, get a nice clean one" then I get extra large cardboard to thickne the wall. One roll of dut tappe $5, and I'm done. Add dry ice wrapped in nespaper and I can bring 2 mule deers with capes home for a 3 days trip back.

they fit in the back of the suv nicely.

#5 ·
This is what I am thinking about building. A 4'x2'x8 closet. I'm going to use osb and put insluation between the outside and inside boards. I'm going to screw it together so I can store it in pieces when I don't need it. I was thinking of putting a window air conditioner in it, they don't work well below 60 degrees. I think there is a way to make an ac work below 60 but I need to check with a HVAC guy to be sure. First I am just going to try putting ice in it.

#6 ·
You can use a chest freezer and get a temperature control for it.

http://www.kegworks.com/freezer-temperature-controller-967-p18114

homebrewers use these to control temperatures for lagering beer, keeps the yeast int he proper temperature range. this will use less electric and keep a better temperature than just using the freezer alone.

I plan to rig one of these up for a trip out west, will also have a small generator along so I can run them driving down the road too. Plug in with an extension cord at the motel if you are so inclined to stay at one for the night.

#7 ·
gary3414 said:
This is what I am thinking about building. A 4'x2'x8 closet. I'm going to use osb and put insluation between the outside and inside boards. I'm going to screw it together so I can store it in pieces when I don't need it. I was thinking of putting a window air conditioner in it, they don't work well below 60 degrees. I think there is a way to make an ac work below 60 but I need to check with a HVAC guy to be sure. First I am just going to try putting ice in it.
Thats what my neighbor did in the butcher shop he made it works pretty good.

#9 ·
gary3414 said:
Yep, it will work...just install an old freezer thermostat on your air conditioner and your good go, I can set mine at and hold a steady 34 degrees....works best if you also install a defrost timer off an old fridge as well. Works best with the air exhaust always open and the importance of cleanliness can't be overstated.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.