deer skinning rack - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Question deer skinning rack

has anyone built a deer skinning pole with 4x4's? was thinking of using 4x4 posts set in the ground and a cross beam with a winch to lift the deer up to skin them. as in another post the price of getting a deer butchered is out of hand. how long should the posts be when setting them in the ground and high enough to raise the deer for skinning? also how long should the cross beam be? would 3 feet in the ground be deep enough to hold the posts? any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Pa. Slim
guess i should have added that i dont have a garage or external building. this is why i am putting a skinning rack outside in the yard. i have a shed but its not high enough to hang a deer in it. once skinned i can quarter a deer and put it in the shed.

Last edited by Pa. Slim; 12-21-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are going to go the expense of a winch, you can use the winch in your skinning operation. You can pull the hide off in a hurry with a winch. If possible I'd set it up in a garage or other outbuilding, get you out of the weather a bit. Whether you put it inside or out, I'd try to have it at least 12 feet high. That way you can work on the entire deer while standing. It will keep you off your knees while working on the neck and head. If you can't get 12', get it close as possible.

Edit:to be clear, like nomad said, if using a building the attachment point would utilize the existing truss system. I may not attach directly to the bottom of the truss, as I like a high anchor point. I'd attach it to wherever I could get the 12' I like if possible.

Last edited by simoncool; 12-21-2019 at 11:43 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 11:29 AM

I simply secured an eye bolt to the trusses in my garage and then use a block and tackle to hoist the deer. My ceiling is 10' and is plenty high enough. I second trying to get yourself inside somewhere. For me the garage works well. At camp we use the shed. Being out of the elements helps tremendously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 12:04 PM

I don't think 4x4's would be heavy enough. Especially if there is any deflection caused when using a winch or a vehicle to pull the skin off. I would not recommend using garage trusses also because of deflection. I have repaired their damage.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainzoid View Post
I don't think 4x4's would be heavy enough. Especially if there is any deflection caused when using a winch or a vehicle to pull the skin off. I would not recommend using garage trusses also because of deflection. I have repaired their damage.
Good point. I forgot to mention my garage trusses are sistered 2*6's because we have an attic above the garage. So in my case the weight of a typical whitetail wont cause any harm and negligible deflection. Addiitnally I use a block and tackle that weighs next to nothing. A typical 2x4 truss I wouldn't have done that. I spoke extensively with my contractor when we were putting the attic in and finishing the garage to make sure the trusses were sufficient to do what I was going to do.

Last edited by nomad_archer; 12-21-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainzoid View Post
4 x 4 should be ok with corner bracing. But 6 x 6 with bracing would be better. Our winch is attached to a piece of steel I beam spanning the rafters. Good point on not attaching a winch directly to trusses.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Here is a picture of the skinning setup we have at our camp. We used a 16’ 6x6 and put it 3 feet into the ground. Feel free to PM me if you want more details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E917A9B1-D22D-4D67-9208-D83A7DC3CF67_1577049877665.jpg (1.76 MB, 44 views)

"I don't shoot well but I shoot often" -Teddy Roosevelt
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The above pic illustrates why you will want your pole at least 12' off the ground. Their's is 13', and as you can see, the head and neck are at a good height to work on when the deer is hoisted all the way up. I think most guys would rather do that work standing than bent over or on their knees. And the older you get, the happier you will be that you have a nice high game pole.

10 feet is probably high enough , but I'd make it 12' just to be sure.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

would not be using a vehicle to pull skin off the deer. i always skin any deer i get immediately after i get home while its still warm. thats the way i was taught and too old to change.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 07:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are going to employ a winch in the set up anyway, it can easily be used to pull the hide off. It really is easier with the winch, especially around the shoulder/front leg area, but that's totally up to you, of course. But if the winch were there, I'd use it to pull the hide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in