Replacement Windows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232
Replacement Windows

My house is now about 40 years old and the original Anderson Narroline windows are starting to fall apart. Several of the sashes are pulling apart at the corners and almost all of the sashes are getting soft on the outside and along the bottom. I am planning to install vinyl replacement windows and I’m looking for recommendations for what brand/model. Does anyone have experience with the American Craftsman 70 series sold at Home Depot or the Thermastar windows sold at Lowes? Or would it be best to go to a building supply place (like ABC) and get another brand? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 04:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Don t buy from Window World i did and they did a half you know what job and scratched up my newly finished seals and brought the wrong color trim out the first time and try to push the wrong color on us never would recommend them. My wife said they where running threw the house to install them,i wish i could have been home to give them a piece of my mind for the poor installation and when i had them take the wrong color back my windows didnt have the custom blinds up for 4 months what a nightmare.
simoncool likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would go with either mid-price or above Pella or Andersen, with windows you get what you pay for. And both of these companies stand behind their warranties. Many window companies do not. I would run fast and far from Thermastar and can't offer any advice on the AC 70 from HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:30 PM

Take a look at these. I installed the Marvin Integrity line in my new house and I'm very satisfied. Marvin is not the least expensive window, but like most things, you get what you pay for.

https://www.marvin.com/infinity

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-Plinker View Post
Take a look at these. I installed the Marvin Integrity line in my new house and I'm very satisfied. Marvin is not the least expensive window, but like most things, you get what you pay for.

https://www.marvin.com/infinity
Yes, Marvin is good too. I would add those to my list.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
Yes, Marvin is good too. I would add those to my list.
20 years and counting on my fiber glass marvins. I've a lot done in my house but metropolitan windows in Pgh has done the best job ever and the installation and warranty is 100%
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Part of the Community

I'm a fan of Simonton windows, Anderson not so much. House I built in 85 had Anderson, by the time I sold it in 2000 the wood sashes had started to decay from the condensation......Fast forward to 2010 and our house in Perry County,,,my daughter broke a Simonton window in her bedroom.
Contacted Simonton and they sent me a whole new lower sash under their warranty even though the breakage was not because of any defect.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage

Very few companies are using wood sashes anymore. Actually, 25 years is not bad for wooden sashes, depending on the maintenance done that isn't bad at all.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:52 AM

I would not buy or recommend Pella Windows to anyone because of their warranty.

A year after buying two new fiberglass outer doors from Pella, I had issues with both doors. On my front door the rubber installation on the bottom of the door ripped off and the door started to fade do to sunlight.

The outer door on the side of my house after the warranty expired I noticed sunlight coming through the very top right hand corner of the door (About 10 inches) I called Pella and was advised it would cost me $150. for them to come out.

In addition, I bought two Pella storm doors and withing in a year my front storm door hardware faded. We called and sent emails complaining about the handles to no avail. I believe we spent over 5K for these doors thinking they were good doors.

Life Member NRA
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:46 PM
Part of the Community

Stay away from American Craftsman and Pella Therma star they are both low end products. Simonton is good but they have different grades, if you watch for sale at Lowes they will run a sale on their Atrium window made by Reliabuilt. The Relibuilt is a stronger window both in glass and vinyl. Lowes will have the sale and if you put them on your charge you also get a 5% discount. Im not sure if you are going to install yourself but they also have installation available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page