Homemade freeze sticks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By delphic93

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Homemade freeze sticks

One of our camp members had done this and thought it was an interesting idea, so thought I would share. I call them freeze sticks, but they are just schedule 40 pipe filled 3/4 full with salt water. I cut them so that when caps are glued on they are length of the cooler. These were made out of 1 1/2" sch40. They don't take up much room in bottom of cooler and they allow your items to not sit in water on bottom of cooler when ice melts. When you get home, put them back in freezer so they are ready for next trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freeze sticks.jpg (792.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg freeze sticks cooler.jpg (616.2 KB, 45 views)
Moss and hunter-trapper21 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 05:26 PM

I've heard of these referred to as polar bear tubes as well. From what I've read, they work very well. I'm planning to throw together a few when I have some disposable time.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM

very neat idea ,I might try and make some and try them. thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

I’ll also make some of those

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for sharing D! The little man goes through 1/2-gallon containers of apple juice left and right....so I rinse a couple of those out and then fill with water and freeze for the cooler.

They also keep the cooler items from sitting in water, and once melted a little bit, they serve as a back up cold water supply while at the cabin while doing habitat work!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeti should make these in their Philippines plant. They could charge $50.00 each and sell them to soccer moms at Dick's.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphic93 View Post
One of our camp members had done this and thought it was an interesting idea, so thought I would share. I call them freeze sticks, but they are just schedule 40 pipe filled 3/4 full with salt water. I cut them so that when caps are glued on they are length of the cooler. These were made out of 1 1/2" sch40. They don't take up much room in bottom of cooler and they allow your items to not sit in water on bottom of cooler when ice melts. When you get home, put them back in freezer so they are ready for next trip.
great idea. I think I have the stuff here to make a few. I just have a few questions... do you use with or instead of ice? What is you salt to water ratio? And do they freeze solid?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
great idea. I think I have the stuff here to make a few. I just have a few questions... do you use with or instead of ice? What is you salt to water ratio? And do they freeze solid?
I've yet to make the PVC tubes, but I usually have a good stash of half-gallon tea jugs frozen and ready to go. I put roughly quarter a cup of salt per half gallon, bearing in mind that they're not filled the whole way to allow room to expand. They don't freeze solid, but rather a hard slush. I imagine the water/salt ratio will effect that. I usually use these instead of loose ice, as I don't really care for my food floating around in water after the ice melts.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Not sure what ratio of salt to water was used when I made these. Not sure you even need to use salt, it is used to keep from freezing but I think as long as you only fill them 3/4 to allow for expansion, you will be fine. Mine are froze solid so apparently I did not add enough salt but they did not break. I actually like them being froze solid.
I do use mine with ice. I find the ice actually lasts a little longer with these in the bottom. What I like most is they keep your food off bottom and out of the water when your ice melts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 12:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Actually salt lowers the freezing point of water, but it will still freeze when the temp gets low enough. The fact the water with salt has a lower freezing point gives you colder ice. That is why the salt is added - it creates colder ice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page