Opinions / Suggestions on Elevated Box Blind Idea - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By capt rudy
  • 1 Post By Stant

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Opinions / Suggestions on Elevated Box Blind Idea

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review my post.
My uncle is up in age, he has the drive but the body can't always do what the mind would like to. We also have another hunter that can't hunt like he would want to because of his age and legs getting bad.
I woke today and an idea came to me.
I have a 10 x 10 canopy tent. The idea is to build a slightly elevated, 2' to 4' platform that the tent would attache to and then using harbor freight black moving blankets attach them to the perimeter of the tent while also cutting pieces to dampen the possible areas that may be noisy by gluing in pieces to the aluminum frame. Next would be camo tarps from harbor freight to cover the enclosure while also keeping the rain and snow out if done properly.
Windows are my sticking point, I was going to cut out windows that could either be rolled up and tied or dropped down inside, for this I was thinking of gorilla glue and velcro but open to all suggestions that may help. Obviously we would place this setup where they could get to it and have a chance at seeing movement during the rifle deer season.
My uncle has a buddy heater that when he used in smaller pop up blinds he would say that he could not regulate the heat and was either too warm or not warm enough while constantly adjusting the settings. The increased area would allow him to stand up if he needed to stretch his legs and I would attach a funnel and hose to a 5 gallon bucket with ash and dirt if needed from all the coffee.
In theory I think it sounds as if it could work and for much less money, time and effort than building a structure at this point in the year.
Your thoughts?

Give back to Nature what you take from her and you will be rewarded in more ways than you know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 02:25 PM

We did something like that. We built a portable (Sem portable) platform large enough for a ground blind to be put on it. I was easy to secure and worked out well ,at the end of the season the platform stays and we store the blind.
Flat_Lander likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good Plan,I have done almost the same thing, With a doghouse blind, Its great as when the wind blows hard I can close that window and not get frozen. If you could do the same for them it would be Perfect.

Good Luck, Stsnt
Flat_Lander likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately we were just told this past weekend by the land owner that due to the gas well pad construction we cannot hunt the property this year for safety reasons.

Needless to say we are disappointed but understand that no one wants to experience an accident while hunting and this is in the best interest of everyone involved.

Hoping to find another location to hunt, but at this time so close to the season it does not look good.

Give back to Nature what you take from her and you will be rewarded in more ways than you know of.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page