Need help rock building . - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Need help rock building .

Well, I'm not really a builder or very mechanical. But I had to move in with my dad . He is 92 and needs a lot of help its hard to get away at all and sometimes it is frustrating , .. anyway I can go outside in yard to escape a while.. lots of rocks , I wanna build a fireplace in yard to cook on. Maybe rock furniture.. not sure what cement to use . Anyone have any ideas , or pointers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:06 AM

I'm not a mason but I would say regular mortor mix
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:30 AM

There are all kinds of details you need to think about when building a stone fire place. Do some research on the basics and decide what you want to do with the thing. Use it to burn trash or to actually have a place do do some outdoor cooking in an attractive (primitive?) fireplace. Look for things like: firebrick liner for fire box; smoke shelf in chimney to help develop draw; metal fire box supports for metal grate insert to cook on.
I have not built one in about 20 years and the first one I saw built was over 50 years ago by my grandfather at a place he owned in NW PA. He had a pile of stones delivered and went to work with a trowel, a mixing hoe, a pile of sand, bags of cement, and a thing to mix in. No plans, just his pipe and them crooked Italian cigars he chewed - never lit. It took him about a week due to breaks to go fishing and to let the mortar set. That fireplace worked fine and all of us used it for years. Wonder if it's still there?

I envy you.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad View Post
There are all kinds of details you need to think about when building a stone fire place. Do some research on the basics and decide what you want to do with the thing. Use it to burn trash or to actually have a place do do some outdoor cooking in an attractive (primitive?) fireplace. Look for things like: firebrick liner for fire box; smoke shelf in chimney to help develop draw; metal fire box supports for metal grate insert to cook on.
I have not built one in about 20 years and the first one I saw built was over 50 years ago by my grandfather at a place he owned in NW PA. He had a pile of stones delivered and went to work with a trowel, a mixing hoe, a pile of sand, bags of cement, and a thing to mix in. No plans, just his pipe and them crooked Italian cigars he chewed - never lit. It took him about a week due to breaks to go fishing and to let the mortar set. That fireplace worked fine and all of us used it for years. Wonder if it's still there?

I envy you.
He , your grandfather sounds like a he was a cool old guy. I bet that fireplace is standing unless someone knocked it down. I'm just looking for a cooking fireplace nothing too fancy , but functional . I guess I can go to the library , WiFi is slim here. And I use my phone , hard to see. Lol. And thank you for your time and reply .
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambush View Post
He , your grandfather sounds like a he was a cool old guy. I bet that fireplace is standing unless someone knocked it down. I'm just looking for a cooking fireplace nothing too fancy , but functional . I guess I can go to the library , WiFi is slim here. And I use my phone , hard to see. Lol. And thank you for your time and reply .
You know what? This summer I am going to head on up to Cochranton and take a look. Was going to do that last summer but stuff got in the way.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambush View Post
You know what? This summer I am going to head on up to Cochranton and take a look. Was going to do that last summer but stuff got in the way.
Keep me posted .
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mortar mix would be just fine for laying stone. Just add very/very little water as you mix it for best results. Actually almost dry is the best mix for stone, as opposed to the mix for laying block or brick. Fill in any voids in the joints after you've finished a section, or at the end of a work session, then brush over the joints with an old large size paint brush. Shimming the stones with small pieces will be required as you go. Just keep going and make the joints pretty later as described above. It might be necessary to leave the shims till the joints harden the next day in some cases.
And thanks for looking after pop, at 82 I can appreciate how much that means to him.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:54 AM

you know you need a footer right?

"one hand clapping" mork from ork
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:05 AM

Been wanting to put in a backyard closed BBQ pit with a brick oven next to it. Saw one in a back yard in Arlington VA, complete with an attached pavilion and tables for about 20 people. That guy did a lot of entertaining.

Down here in York county there is a museum called Indian Steps. There is a rather extreme outdoor kitchen of stone work behind the place that was used in its glory days to cook for huge gatherings.

Right now, I would be happy with an outdoor fire pit. But with a twist. I have the iron work to put a spit over the pit. I also want to be able to mount a tripod to hang my huge cast iron kettle (I think it is about a 35 gallon size.) over the fire to cook as well. When I was a kid, and my relatives got together out at a picnic grove for a weekend, they would make a huge cast iron kettle of bean soup or clam chowder for the crowd.

Keep in mind that most rock can't take the repeated exposure to high heat on one side and cold temp on the other without cracking and falling apart. So either use fire brick for a liner or plan so the are is large enough that the fire isn't directly exposed to the rock.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All I can remember from boy scouts is don't use sand stone.
jimsdad likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page