European mount display plaque - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I made this plaque as a Christmas present for my dad's european mount rifle buck from this year. I found a picture online of the basic design then added the photo part. I thought it would be cool to have a picture to preserve the memory of the hunt with the trophy. I used rough cut cherry wood cleaned up with Trisodium phosphate (TSP) and a rasp to rough up the cut edges to blend them in so they weren't too clean cut looking. It's a 30* angle on the rest. Just a framing nail sticking out that goes in the base of the skull, it doesn't secure it tight but works well enough to keep it in place given the angle. I'm considering a screw up into the roof of the mouth to secure it better. I used a 4x6 picture frame with the glass and backing removed temporarily screwed to the back as a template to cut the photo opening with a router and a straight cutting bit. Then cut a shallower step around the opening using a groove cutter bit to hold the glass. Just re-used the glass and cardboard backing from the picture frame in the plaque. Finished it with a coat of polycrylic. I'm really pleased with how it turned out and my dad really liked it. The skull support can be removed and rotated 180* and the skull flipped around and the plaque used as a display on a table too. Last pic is the one I found online that shows this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2550_1482767478510.jpg (640.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2258_1482767994078.jpg (910.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by PAMountainMan; 12-26-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Another angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2551_1482768264009.jpg (653.0 KB, 24 views)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:56 AM

Nice job.Looks really good.Tell your dad congrats on a fine buck.I'm getting about ready to try making a mounting plaque myself.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page