LED light keeps glowing even when "off" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

LED light keeps glowing even when "off"

I needed to replace wiring on the second floor our house. A licensed electrician owed me a favor and helped out, with me doing the bulk of running the wire. He supervised or did the hook ups. We installed a new LED ceiling light fixture in the bedroom. The LED is built into the fixture as a ring of diodes, no light bulbs ever needed. Installation was easy. However, even though switched off, it gives off a ghastly glow all night. Very faint, maybe a tenth of a candle power. Sort of a glow in the dark that never fades away. Electrician tested and rechecked everything. He says there is some miniscule voltage "leakage" or natural stray voltage that causes it to glow. No big deal. He explained that such things happen frequently near high power lines, or for other reasons. He took a light bulb out of his pocket and set it on the table. Even it glowed a bit without being screwed into a socket.

Anybody else experience such a thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 04:19 PM

Re: LED light keeps glowing even when "off"

Yep . Got an LED for my garage door opener and it acts like a night light 24/7. My multi tester could'nt even detect the voltage ...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
He took a light bulb out of his pocket and set it on the table. Even it glowed a bit without being screwed into a socket.

Anybody else experience such a thing?
Thats some crazy stuff right there...

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My guess is a phosphorescent coating. They are using phosphorescence materials to make them more efficient. Barring that my next guess would be a capacitor discharging through them but I'm doubtful. Knowing how diodes work I am doubtful any sort of energy waves would excite them like happens with fluorescent lights.

This is the flouro light in my computer room. In the right conditions from static charge exciting it, it will glow just by walking in the room.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tundragr...?sort=3&o=6

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 04:05 AM
The Man

Here's what I found on some forum:

"if the two conductors going to the switch have capacitance between them, as they do in typical houswiring that capacitance shunts a feeble current around the switch. It may be enough to give an LED a feeble glow."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 PM
Part of the Community

I'd wear lead shorts just to be safe!!!

Nothing to worry about, just a normal thing with LED's. It doesn't take much to get them to emit some light.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:56 PM
Part of the Community

Pretty normal with LED's. I have brand new Peterbilt tractors that the tailights have one or 2 LED's glow after the truck is shut down.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:54 PM

Electrician at work told me that even static in clothing will light them up . Just had a 1 year old 950 lumin flashlight do the same thing . Found out the cheap batteries that came packaged with it were leaking . Cleaned it all up , replaced the batteries with Duracell and works properly again . LEDs are definitely finiky !

Last edited by 4x4dad; 07-07-2017 at 11:24 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 10:36 AM

LEDs draw much less wattage then a standard light bulb and several things will make them omit very low light even when off.
I have outside lights outside my house doors and the passage door into the garage that I put the screw in LEDs that do the same thing. There was no change in wiring nothing changed except the new bulbs and they give off that creepy glow.
They were on different circuits so I was sure there was not a back feed on the line. I did a little checking and using LEDS where you have something that will control the light besides a straight off on switch can do this. I have wall timer switches for the outside door lights and that is the reason they light, and I assume that is why the garage door opener light does the same thing since there is constantly electric going to the device.

I have several of the type lights the OP mentioned in my hallways and they are controlled by a straight wall switch and I do not have that problem. If you put a meter on the ground and neutral wire and are not getting a reading don't worry about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page