Restoring an old blacksmiths forge... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Restoring an old blacksmiths forge...

So I had built my own little makeshift blacksmith forge and forklift tine anvil to play around on. I decided I wanted something better. So I scored a 176lb trenton anvil for $85 bucks at a local auction. Forges though are hard to find. I went to a blacksmiths auction in Greencastle PA but everything went for stupid money. While talking to someone I was standing next to, he mentioned that he had a blacksmith's forge that he had never used and that I could buy it if I wanted to. So I met him and purchased this for $75. It was in rough shape but thats fine, I like restoring old stuff.

How it was when I bought it.

This is what the insides looked like when I took everything apart completely. The blower fan and its blades are in great shape. All of the bearings are poured Babbit bearings.

Notice how its basically riveted together. That toothed hub is a separate piece from the the overall fly wheel assembly.

This is after wire wheeling everything off and pressure washing it.

Everything is painted and ready for assembly. I used 2000 degree engine paint for this so hopefully it holds up well.

The only thing the forge was missing was a firepot. You can tell whoever had it before this guy had gotten it waaaaaaay to hot. There was an extra bracket and belt on the forge, I'm guessing this genius hooked this up to a motor and didn't realize how much air that impeller pushes out. He probably melted or cracked the firepot.
I made this firepot out of an F150 brake rotor and some 1/4 plate I had lying around welded to 3 inch exhaust tubing. I welded brackets onto it for it to tighten to the top of the blower. Don't laugh at my welds, I crunch numbers behind a desk all day so I'm just happy I can make 2 pieces of metal stick together haha.

Here it is mostly finished. I used a spare adjustable belt that I had laying around to attach the blower and flywheel. It took about 30 minutes to get everything straight and adjusted correctly.

In the below video you can see me turn it for the first time. Its really neat how these things operate. They originally used leather belts which I am in the process of making. For the time being I put 550 paracord on there to get length measurements for the belts to make sure everything worked correctly.

As you can see in the video it took some effort to get it to spin. The 2 screws that attached the belts to the clutch were contacting the shaft the flywheel spins on. After I loosened those and added another link to the belt it was a whole lot easier to operate.

The last things I need are actual leather grommeted belts and to line the firepot with castable refractory.

https://youtu.be/PPa6lgaUHjg

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 10:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Restoring an old blacksmiths forge...

Very cool, Looks like you know what your doing keep going.

camp in A.N.F.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Haha not really but it was a fun project. I was lucky that it was in such good shape relatively speaking. I've seen some others on the internet that had been very neglected and eaten away by rust.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:05 PM
New Arrival

Nice Project. Wish I could find one of those.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Blacksmithing stuff is out there, it's just either unusable or crazy expensive because of antique dealers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page