reverse sloping patio? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

reverse sloping patio?

ok folks my 4 inch thick patio slab leading to the entrance of the house it sloped about 2 inches lower in the rear"not good" everytime it rains it runs back towards the foundation. there is also a wall on the back left side of the slab so no chance to jack it up cause we cant get to the low side. there are no cracks just a wrong slope. is there any way to lay a top layer with correct pitch over this? probably too late to anchor the existing slab to the foundations so it wont sink any farther... thanks

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: reverse sloping patio?

There is a process called slab jacking or mud jacking. The contractors have specialized pump machines and training to do this. Basically an 1 1/2" or so hole is bored in the cement in several strategic places and a slurry of grout is pumped under the slab until it raises the slab to where it needs to be. It sounds like the crushed stone base either settled or was not compacted properly or dirt eroded away and the whole slab dropped.
I have had sidewalk slabs at my work leveled to prevent tripping hazards and the process works for slabs as well. They will need to put a bunch of holes and grout to support the voids under the lifted slab not just under the side next to the house. Price wise it is cheaper than replacing the slab and to pour over the existing you need a minimum of 4 " for strength. Even if you pour on top there is no guarantee that it wont continue to settle

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:49 PM

http://www.bqbasementsystems.com/con...d-jacking.html

Not recommending a company just a good description of a doable option for your problem.
I had a company come in to do a job at one of our campuses where the handicapped ramp settled 2" on the right and 4.5" on the left. They drill holes pressure pump in fill then cement in the holes.
If you go this route check if you need other areas raised since travel and set-up time takes longer than the job.

Skimming cement over older cement isn't worth the time and will become almost a yearly maintenance job for you.
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Sage

How big is the area of the pad..Might be better to just bust it up and start over, if it isn't too big....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Is your house new construction? Could've settled because of the overdid around the foundation.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

it from 1953 however there was a recent makover withthe past few years before we got it..looks like there was an overhang as little metal foot holes are on the edges..there is an overhang but only halfway out so all the outer water runs back..no water in basement yet but dont want to wait for it either. thanks for you opinions folks maybe i can rip it out and built a new one of some kind. its about 10 ft wide 8 ft deep

We Are...PENN STATE
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:34 AM

For a small size like that, just tear it out and start over, get it done right. Depending on the size of the house and area you have to work with, you may even want to go bigger with the pad.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Sage

Those dimensions = 1 yard concrete....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 02:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

I do Hardscaping (patios, retaining walls, outdoor kitchens, ect..) for a living. Been doing it for 7 years now and from personal experience there is no "easy fix" for your problem. The problem is caused because your slab was not anchored to your house. When houses are built there is an over dig meaning they excavate a larger whole than the footprint of the house. They back fill after building the foundation and basement if your house has one. The problem is no one ever compacts this space because it is next to your foundation walls and you don't want to risk pushing them. This dirt will settle usually takes a couple of years to completely settle. The best course of action if you are looking to do it yourself is wait about 5 years after the house is built and remove the existing slab and either re-pour (would only be about a yard or so from your dimension) or my personal opinion is that pavers are much better if installed correctly. The best cheap fix is to demolish and re-pour. IMHO the est fix is to demo and install pavers. More expensive shot term but long term much cheaper. If interested PM me and we can talk about it in more detail.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

thanks folks you got my brain churning..it is small enough to just get rid of..its a small ranch house so im sure i should just rip it out and start over. they just laid flagstone for the sidewalk before we bought it and looks like it didnt set right either....whatever holds it together seems loose in spots and the stones are shifting/loosening.. is that a complete do over project also?

We Are...PENN STATE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page