Pa townshipds trying to get rich on DIY - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Pa townshipds trying to get rich on DIY

Is anyone else getting disgusted with their townships over reach into home improvement? I recently looked into my townships permitting requirements for a particular job and found out that at some point they made virtually all DIY projects require a permit. In my opinion this is totally outrageous. Replace a faucet or toilet, get a permit. Put new flooring in your kitchen, a permit is needed. Replace an existing light fixture, you're supposed to get a permit. This has gone way beyond safety issues in my opinion and is a matter of padding the twp. coffers. Needless to say, for most of this stuff they can KMA. Give these local yocal politicians an inch and they see dollar signs. Got no use for them at all. And they sneak this stuff in when no one is paying attention.

It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:58 PM

Re: Pa townshipds trying to get rich on DIY

They have gone overboard. But realize there are people who would wire a dozen 50 amp ovens to a 60 amp service. And every year fires are caused by idiots plugging 7 appliances into a single 15 amp line. A plumber tells me of a boob that connected a gas line to his shower water supply. Decks have collapsed because some fool put 30,000 pounds stress on two pine 4x4s. I got a ration of crap because I used 12 ga wire for a microwave receptacle. Wire was too heavy he said. That made absolutely no sense to me.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:29 PM

An elderly family member overloads her circuits by 10 amps and asks me why she has lights flickering when electric heaters kick on . I explain the problem , but she refuses to believe it . I give up .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:46 PM

I am all for DIY home projects but think anything over changing out receptacles and lamps should be done by professionals. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I have seen people in older buildings where knob and tube wiring
is present just tap into the wires and intermingle it with grounded systems, usually with bad results.
I had a buddy install a light outside his deck and blew out 3 TVs before he asked for help, its a good thing he didn't burn down his house.
It also becomes dangerous for the poor [censored] who has to come in and work on their work.

We have a lot of power outages due to downed trees and snow/ice sometimes lasting days. The way some have portable generators wired into their panel box its no wonder someone does not get killed, especially the guys out trying to re-establish power to their home.

Electricity is not difficult to understand but caution needs to be used. This is one of the main reasons the townships are tightening up on the regs. You can't even put a PVC shed without a building permit, following setback requirements and using footings. Sad to say but people brought this on themselves.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:44 PM

It wasn't the townships. A few years ago, the state mandated iirc the unified building code . Townships had no choice in the matter.

"You meet a better class of people in the dark."
-LP

Ever get lonely? Remember the NSA is right there with you!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Samuel is on the money. It was either raise taxes to pay for all these new permit enforcements or have each permit issued have a fee.
Come to think of it I am not sure taxes could be raised to cover these expenses....

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812
I am all for DIY home projects but think anything over changing out receptacles and lamps should be done by professionals. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I have seen people in older buildings where knob and tube wiring
is present just tap into the wires and intermingle it with grounded systems, usually with bad results.
I had a buddy install a light outside his deck and blew out 3 TVs before he asked for help, its a good thing he didn't burn down his house.
It also becomes dangerous for the poor [censored] who has to come in and work on their work.

We have a lot of power outages due to downed trees and snow/ice sometimes lasting days. The way some have portable generators wired into their panel box its no wonder someone does not get killed, especially the guys out trying to re-establish power to their home.

Electricity is not difficult to understand but caution needs to be used. This is one of the main reasons the townships are tightening up on the regs. You can't even put a PVC shed without a building permit, following setback requirements and using footings. Sad to say but people brought this on themselves.
Oh. pleeeeeeeze!! With as much info available most folks should be able to handle DIY's above replacing a receptacle.

Just because a "professional" did it doesn't mean it's done right. Case in point, my home. Bought new in 2004. As I started to do things, like add receptacles, water softener, family room, I came across numerous violations.

1. Most electrical receptacles/switches had 1/4"-3/8" exposed wire. That be a no-no. The receptacle for the gas water heater fan had close to an inch.

2. Three gang switch boxes, instead of pigtailing and wire nut, back stripped sections out of one long hot (black wire) and looped it over each hot on the switches. Another No-no.

3. Bathroom exhaust fan was 50 CFM, based on sizing calculations it should have been close to 100 CFM. My guess is, the GC got a deal on 50 CFM's and that is what was put in regardless of sizing requirements.

4. Incoming expansion tank was placed on the downstream (outlet hot) side of the water heater. Should be on the cold inlet side.

5. Ceiling fans hung from standard box nailed to the side of a joist.

The list goes on and on.... AND should have been caught by the township inspector.

Make no mistake, permits are for revenue generation PERIOD. I've added numerous circuits to my breaker box. Breaker sizes are easily calculated. Added a sink in my garage. Above cabinet lighting.... Ain't none of hard.

Bowhunting IS life...The rest is just details!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:33 AM
The Man

I can't speak for all Twp's, but I can speak for the small rural Twp that I live in, and I am also a Twp supervisor.

The state passed the law requiring the code enforcement. We do not have enough population and building going on to hire our own inspector, as is the case with a lot of smaller Twp's. So we hire a 3rd party company to do our inspections, as dod the other small Twp's.

Each Twp's has a choice as to how strict they want to be in regard's to the permits required beyond the state minimum.

In our Twp, we only require [permits for what is state mandated. The fee for the permit is exactly what the coge enforcement company charges for there service. We have the option of charging more than that, and the Twp could make money off every permit, but we feel as many on here do, that this should not be used as a revenue source, but rather as the safety concern that it was intended.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 01:18 PM
The Man

Ah, computers and their easier tracking did a lot of DIY's in. Now every fire department and volunteer fire department can keep track of the cause of fires. If it causes a fire, someone is keeping track of it.
And unfortunately, DIY's ever were perfect.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i have done quite a few DIY projects but have a pretty good amount of experience with this type of thing. i always equip myself with the knowledge of proper and safe if i ever even have even the slightest question.
4x4dad likes this.

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page