DIY can drive you nuts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wald Jager

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

DIY can drive you nuts

Well I may spend more time looking for stuff than to fix the part. Little room, I keep a lot of tools in storage boxes. Of course, the poor guy just starting out and who doesn't know you have to use a special tool to complete the job.
The part costs $6.34. But that's not the true cost. The special plumbing wrench needed costs some $20.00.

At least I don't have alzheimers. I located the fairly unused tool quickly. Paid it off the first times use. Such is DIY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:02 PM

Re: DIY can drive you nuts

Over the years I've accumulated almost every tool imaginable 2 or 3 times over, my kids are going to have a heck of a yard sale when I'm gone
Best thing a DIYer can do to take away the mystery is google or youtube what your looking to do before you buy the parts or tools.
Sure your going to sort through the rednecks that start every Homedepot shopping list off with "buy whiskey" but you will see more that will show you ways of doing things you did for years easier and cheaper and with equipment you already have.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Are you sure???

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Part of the Community

DYI...keeps me sane
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:31 AM

Years ago, I redid the plumbing in an old farm house. I ran pex tubing beccause it was the easiest way to run pipes between walls and around corners. Tubing was cheap, connectors cheap, the tool to crimp the parts was $120.00. I may have to dig it out once or twice a year, for other jobs, but it beats cutting and gluing or trying to solder parts together. Helped a neighbor repair a slate roof. He was dumbfounded that I had the slate knife and tools to remove the old cracked slates and cut the new slate and put the nail holes in it. Something I saw done in the 1950's and had not done myself since high school days.

Learning new skills is a sort of hobby with me that I began back in high school days.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812
Over the years I've accumulated almost every tool imaginable 2 or 3 times over, my kids are going to have a heck of a yard sale when I'm gone
Best thing a DIYer can do to take away the mystery is google or youtube what your looking to do before you buy the parts or tools.
Sure your going to sort through the rednecks that start every Homedepot shopping list off with "buy whiskey" but you will see more that will show you ways of doing things you did for years easier and cheaper and with equipment you already have.
Man code ; rule#1
He who dies with the most tools wins
4x4dad likes this.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:53 AM

Thats funny,I have tools I never even used.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
The Man

A relative couldn't do a painting and carpentry job, because he was unaware of the tool he needed.
I was glad because I made fairly short work of it with the specialized saw, for small places. I not only paid for the job, I paid for the saw with the one time use.
So I got thinking of ways to use the saw, again. Duhhh. I realized the saw could be used to trim small branches of small trees that needed annual cutting. I happened to know its carpentry use; not the gardening use.
It's on its third gardening use, and pays for itself every year's use. I'd have to buy a new one just for that job annually. Laugh now all the way to the bank. But I was lucky. The first job was a carpentry job. I wonder if I'd have been clued in if the gardening job was first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page