Venting a pellet stove into existing chimney? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Venting a pellet stove into existing chimney?

My friends are planning to install a pellet stove in there house for this winter to help cut back on the oil cost, they have the stove already to go in the living room but have yet to get to venting it with lots of other projects at hand. They plan to pipe it into the small i believe 8" diameter hole that leads into the houses existing chimney. I am aware of using double walled stove pipe and heat shields i just am not sure about venting it into an existing brick chimney. i could use any helpful input on this, at this point it seem like someone is going to have to get on the roof an look down the with a light and see the condition and what the inside looks like but im guessing it must have been a pre existing pellet stove or wood stove that vented into the chimney since there is no fire place. I dont know if it is just a brick chimney if we should run steel pipe down it and if so does that have to also be double walled pipe or can we at that point change it to single walled stove pipe to save money? Any input will be great

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 10:21 PM

Re: Venting a pellet stove into existing chimney?

I would line the chimney with a smaller diameter pipe then 8", if that is what is inside the chimney. I have been heating with a pellet stove for 15 years now, tied into an existing chimney. I was fine at first but on really cold days the dense cold air would create an air dam, where I lost draft and the blower of the pellet stove wasn't strong enough. Atleast that is the theory to my problems. I lined it with a 4" flex liner from woodlanddirect.com. It's pretty easy to DIY.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 10:22 PM

If the existing chimney is for a oil or gas furnace you cannot use it for the stove due to the danger of letting
exhaust into the house.
If it was a chimney from a previous wood burner I would get a single wall liner put in just to be on the safe side.
They have kits that you can put in yourself that has the pipe, damper and cap for around $400.00 bucks.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 11:41 PM

pellet stoves have their own exhaust fan systemss. Too much length and the fan wears out prematurely. The little bit of ash that blows out must be able to be cleaned out of the system. Venting into a tall existing chimney complicates thee cleaning process. Result a pile of ash in the base of a chimney that can be a fire hazard eventually.

My pellet stove exhaust vent was only three feet high from the inside floor level and blew the warm exhaust out and away from the building. It only smoked once in a while when running out of fuel. But that was enough to worry about the ash. The folks at the pellet stove places will all warn against using an old chimney. They are almost always too high annd wide for the stove. Follow the stove manufacturer's manual, especially for the vent instructions.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Part of the Community

I am into eight years using a pellet stove. When it was installed by a trained installer for Harman Stoves, he would NOT connect the exhaust to my chimney. He cut a hole through the wall and the pipe extends eighteen inches out with an elbow pointing down to keep out the rain. Total pipe length from stove is about three feet and on the same flat plane from the back of the stove. My stove sits on an angle in a corner, so the pipe can not have a sharp bend. When in doubt, ask an installer, to be safe and to get the best performance from your stove.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinmaker
I am into eight years using a pellet stove. When it was installed by a trained installer for Harman Stoves, he would NOT connect the exhaust to my chimney. He cut a hole through the wall and the pipe extends eighteen inches out with an elbow pointing down to keep out the rain. Total pipe length from stove is about three feet and on the same flat plane from the back of the stove. My stove sits on an angle in a corner, so the pipe can not have a sharp bend. When in doubt, ask an installer, to be safe and to get the best performance from your stove.
That's funny because Harman's own manual states that venting through an existing chimney provides an excellent venting option for normal operation.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Part of the Community

Believe me I argued rather when cutting a hole in the side of my house. My brother-in-law had a man install his pellet stove by putting the pipe into the chimney. He has had problems! Also they are having a lot of black dust on the furniture.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 11:25 PM

idk, I'm tied into an existing chimney and it's about 24' to the top of that outside. Only had the one problem after about 10 years of use. Haven't had a problem since lining the chimney. (knock on wood)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well my friend already cut the floor and placed the title and set the stove, because the fact tht the hole in the living room was there. im guessing it leads into the existing chimney. so what im getting is it should have its own exhaust fan and doesnt require as high of a pipe for draft like a wood stove so maybe the best bet would be to go through the existing hole into the chimney and port right out the chimney somehow? instead of running the piping up the two stories.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:36 AM

I am tied into my existing chimney which is lined with 4" pipe. The only fan is the exhaust fan that is part of the pellet stove.

One other thing related to your last post, I recently changed insurance policies and they had an inspector look at my stove setup. In the report I received they indicated that the my pellet stove was on tile and that tile is not code compliant. Thing is, I do not have tile but 2" thick stone under my stove. Just giving a heads-up on the tile as, according to my insurance, it is not up to building code standards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page