Truck cap camper - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Truck cap camper

I'm setting up a truck cap for camping, one to two night stays. Built a cot frame just above the wheel well. Layed one inch foam board on the floor and will cover that with one half inch plywood to protect the foam. Cut to fit two inch foam board around the truck bed sides (has bedliner with a fiberglass cap). Made a small stand to hold a one burner propane camp stove and also surface for tent heater. YES, I will have the two side windows open about one and one half inches and heat turned off at sleepy time.. Storage under cot frame for anything. Storage under the cooking stand also. Everything comes out of the truck bed and fits in a small corner in the basement. Looking for foam pad for the cot, checking yard sales and furniture stores. Built on the cheap side, used odds and ends left over lumber from coffin making. Glue, screws and foam board has been the only expense. I have tent camped for about thirty years and this will be interesting and cramped!! When totally completed I'll post a photo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:00 PM

Re: Truck cap camper

There is some good info on you tube showing the same thing you are doing
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:59 PM

A neighbor just sold a slide in for a short bed. Crapper with shower slept 4. He could not gett 400 bucks for it. I almost bought it because it was so cheap. He gave it to a minister for a divorced guy that had no place to go.
A friend once outfitted an old van with bunks, single burner stove etc. He put a tiny charcoal stove in the thing for heat. Complete with a flue that went through the roof. That stove was a bit alarming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:42 PM

Make sure the stove isn't too high or your cap roof will suffer! When in Colorado we use just a lantern to heat up the tents before bed and in the mornings for afew minutes before getting out of the sleeping bags. They throw alot more heat than most realize and it will all go up!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:59 PM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Years ago on the 1st morning of trout season I was there when they pulled 2 guys out of the back of a truck cap camper, lantern running. They were blue and stone dead. Be carefull.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

"YES, I will have the two side windows open about one and one half inches and heat turned off at sleepy time."
Thank you for the reminder!! I have a minus zero rated hollow filled sleeping bag and extra blankets. My light is battery powered. The real draw back is getting up a couple times through the night for ---that call of nature. My little camp stove is eighteen inches high from the floor, plenty of "to the roof" space. My main concern was to insulate between me and the truck bed. I have been looking and reading all I could find on the web. Couple changes here and there to suit my likes.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Built a similar set-up for my 8' bed truck back in the eighties, and lived in it for 6 months while doing Forest Service contract work in NM and CO. Used 3/4" plywood, built boxes with flip tops along each side - from floor to just over the wheel wells. Built a large storage chest across the bed in front of the wheel wells at the same height, and then a slide in piece that covered the area between the three boxes to give a bed sized surface at one height. Cooler and everyday gear went under the bunk, clothes, etc less used got stored in the boxes. Enuf height to sit upright in the bunk to read a book - lantern will heat it all - definitely keep adequate ventilation!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Wish I could have seen that setup, sounds perfect for a capper. Going out this morning to get a tarp to cover the capper and have a "porch". Will make six foot stakes to hold the tarp out and up from the capper sides. (My time is limited this week, need to finish a coffin.)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:05 AM

http://www.desktodirtbag.com/pickup-truck-camping/

Nice set up at the link.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for that link, I like that!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page