Natural wood stains? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Natural wood stains?

Anyone with hands on experience using 100% natural wood stains? Coffee, teas, berries, etc? A large project with many hours work could get ruined by guess work. My projects are mostly pine boards with a raw finish, just sanding. Over night I made a coffee solution (stuff I wouldn't drink) that I applied to a pine cross. It took the stain, but I wanted a little more contrast. Don't want store bought mixtures. My projects are for eco-green burials. Darker is more suitable. I have heard of walnut shell sun tea, have any of you tried it for staining? Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Natural wood stains?

Trappers use different natural dyes. At least on metal they give a charcoal to blackish color. Most common is logwood dye. It is a red powder but turns black in water. Boiled walnut hulls produce a similar color. Logwood is available wherever trapping supplies are sold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haematoxylum_campechianum

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 10:27 AM

Might want to try poplar instead of pine. It will turn brownish with time once it's exposed to sun light. I take poplar and wash it with Rit clothes dye. 2-3 coats and than a few coats of poly will make it look like walnut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:59 PM

Do some internet searches for making your own stain...

I thought about it before...I think one method was soaking metal in something...oil or vinegar or something comes to mind...

Also like was said...trappers use all kind of stuff...sumac berries, walnut hulls, oak or maple leaves...can soak them in water or bring them to a boil brings the tannins out quicker...not sure what it'd look like on wood...but it has color...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:58 PM

Friend of mine made stain for his gun stocks and fishing rods out of walnut shells and water, and left them soak for a few days. It looked good but then he covered it over with urethane anyhow so why not buy something from MinWax? He just made small batches using plastic coffee cans and baby food jars.

Problem I see if you are doing a big job like a gun case or book shelves is if you needed more and had to remake another batch that the color consistency might be different.

Good Luck
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 02:51 AM
Part of the Community

Send a message via Yahoo to joepet

I have been making my own walnut stain for 40 years. Just take the black husk and put them in a jar. Cover the shells in ammonia. Regular cleaning ammonia from Dollar General works fine. If you use just water you will grow worms in the solution. Just take a rag and wipe it on. If you want it darker allow some of the ammonia to evaporate. After it dries you can use any method of clear coating.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:46 PM

used to be a show on called furniture on the mend. they made a lot of the stuff to rebuild furniture, mabe utube them?

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page