Question for the DIY-ers regarding propane heaters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Question for the DIY-ers regarding propane heaters

My son will be joining me for his first hunt this year. I've built us a 4'X8' box blind elevated 4', the blind is 7'9" tall.
The idea is to help keep him as comfortable as possible and enjoy his first hunt.
We are ready to bring it to the top of the hill, set it up and add the insulation pieces to it.
My next thoughts are on safe heating options to keep the chill down.
I've thought of sterno and propane heaters. The Mr. Heater line of propane heaters are the front runner because of the built in safety features, but I've also read where the burning of propane can add moisture to the blind which could fog up your windows.
Do you believe that these options may be feasible in our blind:
1)Damp-Rid cannister - I've used them in my basement at home and have experienced success but given the colder climate and structure not too sure if they would work to help relieve moisture in the blind.
2) I've got a couple of bottles of Rain-X and was thinking of coating the acrylic sheets we are using for windows with it to help cut down on the fogging of the windows.

Here are some photos of the unfinished blind:

[img:center][/img]

We welcome your thoughts and input as well.
Thank you

Give back to Nature what you take from her and you will be rewarded in more ways than you know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Sage

Re: Question for the DIY-ers regarding propane heaters

With that Pa wind blowing and frigid temps,this thing is not airtight, I don't see a problem with overheating,keep a window on a crack anyhow..just a little heat on the feet and legs..How old is your son
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Ron,
Our son is 12. Can't wait to get this up on the hill this weekend and ready for opening morning. Ordered a refurbished portable buddy heater from Cabelas this morning.

Give back to Nature what you take from her and you will be rewarded in more ways than you know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Part of the Community

I got my Buddy refurbished from Cabelas a couple years ago. Works perfectly. If you run it on low all day, it will use up about one and a half of those small green bottles. I tend to run mine for an hour and then let it off for a while. The windows do tend to fog up but I found if I crack the windows they don't fog. Also, I bought an adapter that allows me to recharge the small bottles using a 20lb grill tank.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 12:12 AM

One wants some ventilation. If using propane etc. this uses up oxygen in your blind. No oxygen equals no hunter.
Refilling any propane bottle from another tank other than what a propane company uses is not recommended. One has no control on the amount of propane one would be putting in another tank. Take care.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 01:23 AM
Part of the Community

buy him a good pair of boots and hunting close and sit by tree and teach him to hunt the right way. when you get cold you either stay on stand or go home either way you build charecter not condos.

BUTT,BELLY,BEAK,BANG!!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 03:34 PM
New Arrival

Don't listen to the poster above. His "builds character" response is ridiculous. How does standing up and going home build character?

I grew up hunting with out a hut and when it was snowing, rainy, and windy. It was tough for my dad to keep me focused.

Good looking blind.
My dad and I build 4'X4' huts that we would use for the opening day of rifle and any day thereafter if it was REALLY cold or inclement weather.
We didn't have plywood walls, but used "slab" wood from mill to close in. This created seams for wind to come in so we took rubber and stapled it around the inside to prevent drafts.
We also used buddy heaters and I personally couldn't stand to use the low setting because ANY breeze causes the heater to make noises. The deer will NEVER hear the noise but I felt it was harder to hear THEM. I used mine on HIGH and always left a couple bottles in the hut during the season. I would use 2-3 bottles per sit.

With regards to windows, we only put them on the side the wind typically comes from.

Another big thing is to make sure your chair is oiled. a squeaky chair suuuuucks.

My parents sold their property earlier this year so I will surely miss the warmth of the hut while up in a tree on opening day!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thank you dshannon for the positive spin of the post from tom4shot.
I fall into the category of the guy who works many hours, my time in the field is limited to when I can escape on a weekend and vacation time from work - which really isn't vacation when you are on call 24/7 - 365.
Taking my schedule into account and my son's sports schedule leaves us even less time to get out and enjoy the field.
Why some people feel they need to leave such comments are beyond me when we are here to support each other.
Thank you again and best of luck to you and your family.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:59 AM

I went with a buddy heater with the fan,use a 20lb bottle of propane outside the shanty.they sell a hose that fits them.
we use computer chairs in ours,comfy but don't let the heater too close!!
I used old storm windows in my shantys, not super tight so some air does get in.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 11:49 AM

I use a Buddy Heater in my "hunting hut" and never have a problem from the windows fogging because it has built in ventilation - it is not near airtight. I use it a few minutes at a time to keep the chill off for my grandson and I. We both still dress really warm and only use the heater when we get cold through all the layers. Many days we don't even start it. In a typical season I will use 2-3 pound cylinders of fuel in the two weeks.

G-Daddy
Youth and enthusiasm will always be overcome by age and treachery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in