pellett or wood stove? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

pellett or wood stove?

well we want to take out the electric
fireplace the previous owners put in and put in either wood or pellett stove. there is an existing stove pipe/chimney properly lined in a teracota sleeve exiting the roof. however they put in a wall in the corner to build the electic unit in...the outside walls are brick with plaster over them but the new wall is just drywall. so im guessing i will have to box this area off with a heat shield to keep the heat from going up this basically closet that is formed behind the wall. im young enough to cut my own wood but that takes time from hunting and fishing so maybe a pellett stove would be better. our house is pretty small so i think a 1000sq ft burner would do if i can find one that small. anyone got an opinion on the matter and where to get one?

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: pellett or wood stove?

Mallard, there are benefits and drawbacks of both.
My opinion: either will fit your needs. I would get all the options available (blower, thermostat, battery back up etc). Please make certain the area near heat source is properly constructed. If you are going to burn very often get the wood burner. Wood will be cheaper than pellets as long as you already have the tools to process firewood. Do you have room to process and store the firewood?
If you are going to burn infrequently get the pellet.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you loose elec. then your auger will not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

we have the room to store and cut , but need the log splitter, a better saw and all the goodies to go with. the wife has me talked into a pellet stove now. we have oil fired hot water boiler with baseboard heat now and wanted to cut out the oil cost and we like fire. so we will use the stove as our main heat source. problem is when they reconstructed the room they put this cattycorned wall up for the electric fireplace and now fits in the way of an easy install. want to keep the wall but that means i have to box the opening off and probably put up fireprotection against it to keep it safe.our house is one floor, fairly open so probalby around 1000 sq ft will heat us up nice. the no fire no power is giving me second thoughts on the pellett. thanks for the info

We Are...PENN STATE
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Sage

Can always fire up a generator
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Or buy the battery back up.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 12:30 AM

Terra cotta lined chimneys are an outdated technology. You should visit a stove shop.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

On pellets, ck around for suppliers in the summertime to pre-order at a reduced price. Pellets have less ash, and are all-around cleaner in the house. Wood is cheaper and doesnt require electricity to burn.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Been heating with pellets for 15 or so years now. Only heat source. Don't let the power issue sway you. How often do you lose power and you can always get a generator to run things. Pellet stove does not take much current.

Pellets are way more easier on you and the wife. Pour pellets in the hopper and it will keep burning until you tell it to stop. With a quality pellet, empty the ash bucked 2-3 times a winter. Runs all the time and maintains a constant temperature.

W/ pellet stove, you can also run the exhaust pipe through a wall, chimney not needed.
If you do you the chimney you can purchase and install a chimney liner on your own. I did mine a couple years ago to decrease the diameter that was in the original chimney. Real easy to install, plenty of resources to buy and research on internet.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If I was not so deeply invested in firewood processing. I would seriously look at wood pellets or rice coal.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page