dyi smokehouse ??? help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

dyi smokehouse ??? help

so i wanna build my own smokehouse and i have been going over an over how i want to. so now i think ive got the one i want. http://theownerbuildernetwork.co/eas...ar-smokehouse/
ive looked at all kinds and ive notice some you just burn the fire in the house like the one in the link you pipe the smoke and heat in, and ive even seen ones where they just put a outside gas cooker like for deep frying turkey and place a metal can with chips on it for the smoke.
Now my questions to anyone that has a smokehouse or has used one in the past what is the better iddea? i dont want to spend a ton of money on fire bricks for the one in the link becuase in the next couple of years i have plans to build a house off this location and i dont want to invest a ton of money, as for the shed itself i can tear it down and rebuild so im torn between building the cedar one in the link or trying to build one that uses the gas cooker. im new to this its another one of my projects an ill probly be doing it in the winter im just tired of spending over 300$ to get bologna made.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: dyi smokehouse ??? help

thats pretty elaborate and fancified. Unless your smoking tons of meat at a time I would just get one from a store. I have a Masterbuilt 30 inch electric smoker.

I know, I know electric blah blah blah but its set and forget so I can continue about my business without tending a fire or messing around with stuff. I can fit about 10 lbs of snack sticks in it at a time which is more than enough for me to last for awhile.

That and theyre small enough to fit in the corner of the garage and pull out when you need them.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

im more looking for one that can do several lager sticks of deer bologna at a time so the size of a fridge would even work for now, plus i dont really want to spend the money on a smoker like tht if they were bigger an cheaper then yea would be probly good but my last bill from the butcher was $300. but as far as electric goes is there some kind of hot plate i could buy tht would work im thinking ill end up building an small hut and using my gas cooker

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Sausagemaker has all sorts of parts for building smokers. You dont have to buy from them, but looking at what's available will give you plenty of good ideas.
Yes, a hotplate and an old cast iron skillet full of wood chips will work.

MAGA 2020
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

This is mine I have about $150 in it and have had it for years. It's a proofing cabinet that I bought from a local kitchen equipment store used.

Scentblocker Advisory Member
Birchwood Casey Advisory Member
Wild Ear Advisory Member
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

Check into using frig or freezer, friend used frig for years. Insulated sealed right size. Just make sure it is secure when not in use(keep kids out) Good luck!!!

camp in A.N.F.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

my deep chest freezer just died on me and i was looking at maybe using it but its not a metal frame like the videos i have seen on using fridges or freezers, im pretty sure im going to go with a concrete block base maybe 3 blocks high and then build the hut out of wood nothing fancy yet just to start, and i am leaning towards using my turkey cooker which is gas to heat an placing the pan with chips on it. im not too sure as to home long to smoke things tho? is there a base time you smoke at a temp before checking the meats temp?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page